Anvil problems this morning?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by listedguru, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Dude, it's not always an issue with the Anvil platform and the Servers at Assent.

Sometimes, it simply involves ARCA and no one else.
    If ARCA is sending out bad data, there really isn't anything that Assent can do about it.

#31     Jan 30, 2008
  2. speedboy

speedboy

Go trade somewhere else piker. In case you didnt know EDGX book was bad for the whole street...Only their top of book was accurate. They had to update their whole facility. Go back and look at the history on http://www.nasdaqtrader.com/Trader.aspx?id=MarketSystemStatus
    see when they declare self help on somebody and how often it's happened. Assent had issues and the street had issues. I'm glad you got your ass handed to you...hopefully it only gets worse for you..Have fun getting smoked today at 2:15.

#32     Jan 30, 2008
  3. Bobarino

Bobarino

AMEN!!!

Good luck with the Fed today guys.....

#33     Jan 30, 2008
  4. all and all, not many problems over here. however, a lot of my orders got stuck in the last ten minutes of the day. i am not sure if it was just me or not.

#34     Jan 30, 2008
  5. What a POS this Anvil crap is. I got disconnected about 3 times again after the fed. good grief! This is becoming another Laser and I heard even Laser had no problem today. WTF??

Yea, I trade remote. But I had no problem like this w/ Lightspeed. What gives??

#35     Jan 30, 2008
  6. I trade remotely from the opposite end of the country from where the Assent servers are located . . . The platform was rock solid ALL day today and never disconnected.

The last hour was fine.
    Now stuck quotes, no disconnects.

Check your Internet connection.
    Try doing a trace-route to the server:

And see what kind of "latency" you have along the Internet Superhighway.

Anything over 100ms is bad.

You might also want to check and make sure that you have the latest version of Anvil 2.6.7.18

By the way, I am still using Windows XP.
    I hear that people who are on Vista tend to have "issues" in regards to using the Nortel VPN SSL Client. But don't fret, there is a new Vista compatible version of SSL client out now.

Again, I'm just a REMOTE TRADER but have had to learn a lot about how to trade successfully over the Internet over the years.

It's a far cry from being in an Assent office and trading over an internal network on a T-1 line, but it seems to still work for me.

#36     Jan 30, 2008
  7. Bobarino

Bobarino

What gives is that Lightspeed doesn't show you EVERY update like Anvil does. The market data spikes are HUGE right now.... like over 100MB EASY. So tell me, with some worthless 80-100K connection, how do you expect to handle that?

So Lightspeed cant handle the spike either, but they dont need to show you every quote update either. They chop the spike off in the middle or less, knowing the human trader cant see or wont care about seeing all the updates... as long as they dont see any get stuck and they flow at the proper price. Not a bad strategy really, but if you want ALL the data... then you picked a good system with Anvil.

Anvil was ROCKING today after the Fed numbers, ARCA was sticky everywhere on the street but the new servers at Assent handled it very well. I had no issues, no frozen quotes, no disconnects.... it was like someone put the car on cruise control today.

Seriously, you think your the only guy sitting at home trading? What do you think happened when the Fed number came out?? Every freakin guy sitting in his boxers at home started clicking buttons. I dont half-ass my connections, and it paid (literally) VERY well today.

And the guys at Assent.... some smart people to turn around and fix this so fast. Maybe they can give NSDQ and ARCA a hand with their shit shows!!!

#37     Jan 30, 2008
  8. Anvil was solid for me today. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for my E-signal. Thankfully had the Anvil for quoting while E-sig was figuring itself out.

#38     Jan 30, 2008
  9. newguy1

newguy1

all things considered not bad today, stuck quotes and freezes in LEH, but but it wasn't like the platform just shut down like last time.

and for those defending anvil, pipe down. every trader i've met in the office bitches about it, but nobody here in LA bitches at the tech guys. I'm not gonna be an asshole with the only person that can help me. The people who EMPLOY me know my handle and know who I am. I obviously don't care. I can either bring this frustration into the office and bitch there (which I don't) or I can vent on a worthless board and get your panties wet. On the internet, whatever, you don't like it fuck off i'll say what i want.

I still know traders that don't look beyond 5 levels of depth in their lv 2, or a few that don't look at ECNS (I'm dead serious they still only look at the NYSE quote)

so the same things obviously won't bother you.
    It obviously bothers a piker that depends on 10 cents, so if I feel like bitching about it to kingdom come on "elite" trader i'll fucking do it. Don't like it? Nobody's making you glaze over my post.

and btw, the only people I know that make these defenses..well they obviously aren't the traders in the office...I wonder who has an interest in defending anvil when every trader in NY and CA knows the problems are bad. Must be a trader, (what are you warren buffet a 2 second freeze doesn't matter to you?) this isn't about understanding, its about bitching, plain and simple.

#39     Jan 30, 2008
  10. Hey..if your on anvil remote and have esignal slowness call esignal and tell them your at assent and your having esignal slowness

they pointed me to a diff server and now works great

also...switch back to version 8.0...way better than 10.0 and faster

call for corprate support..dont deal with the customer guys

d

#40     Jan 30, 2008