Anvil problems this morning?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by listedguru, Jan 22, 2008.

1. robert 56 i disagree. i have 3 remote platforms and during heavy vol assent is the only 1 that sticks. i'd also suggest dsl over cable as there's many notes on here why dsl is better. pt blank when vol rockets like tuesday with the fed assent is having problems. this has been a problem for 2 months now. it has to be increased traffic from adding many new traders and more vol from the exchange. also others can address this but wether you have 8 mb download or 31 mb from your cable modem it means zero difference in the speed of your quotes. your ram is much more important for speed. the difference between the 2 is like the difference between a porsche or ferrari

#131     Mar 21, 2008
  2. point well taken monstercat.

However, I have 4G RAM and a Intel Quad processer now, so that shouldnt be the problem;

I guess ill find out next week.

its just a process of elimination.

thanks for the input :)

#132     Mar 21, 2008
  3. anyone else go down this afternoon into the close? The order desk would not even answer the phones. what happened?

#133     Mar 24, 2008
  4. ener555

ener555

Same problem Got stuck in a position and nobody answered the phone. This just sux. Bad customer service.

#134     Mar 24, 2008
  5. yep it went down last 15-20 minutes. no customer service? how can they answer 2000 traders at once? i suggest you pony up
    and get a second account so you can hedge if one goes down

#135     Mar 24, 2008

6. Hey wiseguy, how do you hedge what you don't know if you own or don't own?

#136     Mar 24, 2008
  7. browna3

browna3

monstercat, what platform do you use for your second account? I have worked with both gr8trade and Anvil, but don't have experience with any others. Do you have any recommendations? It seems like this is probably a pretty important step especially since Assent seems to missing some screws when it comes to reliability. I hope they get their act together and start focusing on being proactive.

From what I understand a large chunk of Assent was down yesterday during the last 20 minutes of trading because there was a software failure on the transaction server. They didn't have a hot swappable backup in place, so it took about 30 minutes to reboot the server and let it load all of the transactions for the day.

#137     Mar 25, 2008
  8. NJ1000

NJ1000

Jesus christ thank God I left at 3 yesterday!!

#138     Mar 25, 2008
  9. Bobarino

Bobarino

The idea that RAM will make your quotes faster is about 95% false. The only reason RAM would make your quotes faster is if you are running a bunch of applications and these apps are actually causing your system to run slower. More RAM wont make quotes faster, but it will ellviate slowness caused by other apps.

If you want the fastest quotes possible, you should make sure you are running about 50% of your total RAM and your CPU should also run at less then 50% or data delivery will start to degrade (may not even be noticable). Another good trick is getting a NIC (network) card and DO NOT use a card attached to the mother board (onboard). The TCP offload caused by heavy quote activity can bog down an entire system if the motherboard must perform the actual data offload.

Lastly, never use a wireless modem and do your best to connect your trading PC right to a DSL/cable modem. Some older routers can actually slow down your network speed

Good Luck!

#139     May 20, 2010