Antonin Scalia: There Are 'Undoubtedly' Limits To A Person's Right To Carry Guns

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Jul 31, 2012.

1. this should scare the gun nuts. if Antonin Scalia, the most conservative justice, is in favor of limiting the right to carry guns i see some commom sense limits coming soon.

WASHINGTON -- Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia said Sunday that there are "undoubtedly" limits to a person's right to bear arms under the Second Amendment, but that future court cases will have to decide where to draw the line.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/29/antonin-scalia-guns_n_1715969.html

2. He didn't say he was "in favor" of limiting gun rights. He said some limits could be imposed without violating the Constitution. That's a crucial distinction.

Why he felt the need to spout off about this is a better question.

3. Uh oh, you about to throw the most conservative justice in the history of the modern court under the bus too.

4. Ricter

Ricter

Scalia the coward!

; )

5. He was asked, besides there have always been limits. back when the country was formed, Scalia said you couldn't own what you couldn't carry, his example was a cannon. As an example in the present he said something along the lines of "I'm sure you could hold a missile launcher that could take down an airplane in your hands". Implying that would be a sensible limit as to what an individual can own. As for semi-autos he just said that is a debate we can have.

This really isn't news and is just another example of ft making ridiculous assumptions, in this case based on a single, out of context sentence. To echo AAA, he didn't say he was in favor of imposing additional limits, and it is impossible to come to the conclusion that he is just by watching the interview.

6. Arnie

Arnie

Like this is news.

We've had limits on guns or years. Try walking around with a sawed off shotgun or a machine gun.

I think most people like me would consider resonable limits on guns/ammo if we thought the limits were not the beginning of the end for the 2nd Amendment. Fact is, I will resist all gun control efforts as long as the lefts' ultimate goal is to end private ownership of guns. The left has no intention of "reasonable" gun control. They just want it outlawed a little bit at a time.

7. Ricter

Ricter

I believe it was jem who recently taught us that context doesn't matter.

8. BSAM

BSAM

Here's what should be allowed: One pistol and one rifle.

9. I'm a long time-gun owner and avid shooter. I would have no problem with "reasonable" limits on guns, but you are correct -- the proposals from the left have nothing to do with gun control and everything to do with total gun confiscation.

10. Lucrum

Lucrum

We ALREADY have common sense limits and whole bunch more that make no sense at all.

#10     Jul 31, 2012