Antivirus advice urgently needed....

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by Wood474, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Just a question...
    you have been using AVG for many years...
    how many viruses or total computer implosions (due to malware) have you gotten in that time?

#51     Jun 5, 2008
  2. mark2

mark2

I think about three times...I think AVG is not a good malware fighter . Guess need other software to help in that front.

#52     Jun 5, 2008
  3. See that's my point...
    in the last 5 years, i've gotten one virus...and I know when it happened (I clicked on something STUPID from myspace spam) and I got infected..

I've never run AV software...
    I just don't click on stupid shit (almost never)..

AV software gives you viruses...

#53     Jun 5, 2008
  4. Catoosa

Catoosa

I have been using AVG paid version for 6 years and in that time AVG has never found any thing. However, I have had a few problems caused by anti-virus software. I am on the internet every day but I am very careful about what I click on or download.

#54     Jun 5, 2008
  5. I just loaded AVG 8 this wkend due to an issue w/ AVG 7.5. You're right, what a friggin bloated pig. I did a modified install where all components aren't installed, disabled all custom install options and the damn thing still runs using 50+mb of memory (yes 50+MB). I had 7.5 trimmed to using less then 300kb (that's over 100 times less memory)

Part of the problem is they've included antispyware, etc. It seems like a better program but no longer valid for a trading pc.

I'll look into antivir, hopefully they offer an option to exclude folders.

#55     Oct 5, 2008
  6. Catoosa

Catoosa

I took AVG 8 off my computers and went back to AVG 7.5 anti-malware. My AVG service terminates in 36 days and I will be switching to Avira paid version at that time.

#56     Oct 6, 2008
  7. Bob111

Bob111

i didn't read the whole thing, but cascading NAT imo way to go when you have to deal\separate kids\family comps..
    basically-it's a bunch of routers connected one into each other. more on google

#57     Oct 6, 2008
  8. I loaded Avira, seems decent, but doesn't seem any more trading pc friendly then avg 8. Maybe I'm missing something but here's my point. Avira w/ the guard active uses about 50-60mb of memory. I'm assuming that if I turn the guard off I won't have realtime detection. Also, every time the pc reboots the guard is active, is there a way to keep it off by default.

#58     Oct 7, 2008
  9. dmo

dmo

My son accidentally allowed a bad virus to install itself recently. It was really nasty-propagated itself all over the disk, very, very difficult to get rid of. Norton Antivirus was completely useless. PC Tools Spyware doctor with antivirus removed it completely. I've since uninstalled Norton antivirus - it's completely useless. I don't know how Spyware doctor complares to other products but it saved my butt.

#59     Oct 7, 2008
  10. I have used spyware dr before, it's a good program, but a little more then I'm looking for for the trading pc's. Thanks for the feedback

#60     Oct 7, 2008