Antivirus advice urgently needed....

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by Wood474, Apr 23, 2008.

1. OK, I misunderstood. I just have the anit-virus software. I have it turned on. But I could set to perform the detailed scan to take place at a particular time that was convenient for me. I also have a anti-spyware software, which I use manually.

OldTrader

#21     Apr 23, 2008
  2. Lorenzo

Lorenzo

#23     Apr 24, 2008
  3. #24     Apr 24, 2008
  4. Here's a tip to help understand what is actually loading during startup.
    NOTE: this procedure assumes Windows XP

1) During bootup press F5. This will bring up a boot options menu. Select "Enable Boot Logging" and continue the boot.

2) When boot completes, look for the NTBTLOG.TXT file in the Windows directory. This log contains all the drivers attempting to be loaded during boot.

3) Rename the NTBTLOG.TXT file to something else.

4) Now reboot again, enabling boot logging, but this time boot into safe mode.

The difference between the 2 files, the one you renamed and the new ntbtlog.txt file from the safe mode boot, provides a major running start at determining what may be bogging down your boot process.

fwiw; after many years with AVG-Free, I have converted to the paid version of NOD32. Relatively recent, but no problems whatsoever. It's extremely lightweight and the protection is significantly better, IMO. And the company is located in San Diego CA, with phones, email, and live people. Ever try to contact Grisoft?

Osorico

#25     Apr 24, 2008
  5. Replace that with

"I don't use protection when I have sex with many different people I don't know. Instead periodically, I ask them if they have STDs.

So far, no AIDS..."

#26     Apr 25, 2008
  6. Antivirus is for idiots..
    just don't click on stupid shit!

Antivirus software, adware, spyware, and all that garbage GIVES YOU VIRUSES!!

#27     Apr 28, 2008
  7. #28     Apr 28, 2008
  8. samus

samus

If you want the mother of all protection... run your apps / browser inside a virtual sandbox.

I've had zero problems over the last few years since I changed to this sort of system.

I still use AVG but coupled with running my browser inside a virtual sandbox... my system is just about bullet proof.

There are many of them out there, but I use sandboxie.com.

If you got kids and want a good filter... K9 web protection is the gold standard... and it's free.

#29     Apr 28, 2008
  9. Which version of Windows were you installing? Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 has a firewall which earlier versions of Windows did not have. A firewall is a must when connecting to the internet.

#30     Apr 28, 2008