Antivirus advice urgently needed....

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by Wood474, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Catoosa

Catoosa

I have been using AVG for 6 years but I will be going to Eset Nod32 when my AVG subscription runs out. Nod32 is more expensive than AVG but I will be using it on only one PC. I tried AVG on my trading computer but it brought that PC to its knees. I do not run any anti-virus on my trading PC. My surfing PC takes to long to boot because AVG does a detail scan on every boot. I suggest going to this site http://www.av-comparatives.org/ to read all of the test on the different anti-virus software before making a decision. Nod32 and AVG have both been recommend by many here on ET.

#11     Apr 23, 2008
  2. I've been using AVG now for several years on 3 computers, to include my trading computer. No problems of the type you describe.

I might add you can set the time for the virus scan to work. It doesn't have to be when you boot up. You can also stop the scan if it occurs at a time when you don't want it. That said, I don't have problems with the doing some multi-tasking plus the virus scan either.

Sounds to me like maybe something else going on.

OldTrader

#12     Apr 23, 2008
  3. gnome

gnome

It's not REQUIRED that AVG do a scan on boot... you can select/unselect that feature.

#13     Apr 23, 2008
  4. I like avast.com and it's free.

#14     Apr 23, 2008
  5. gnome

gnome

I used that a few years ago. Worked OK, but had to go through the yearly hassle of re-registering.

I've used Avast, AntiVir, AVG, Norton, maybe a couple of others.

Currently using AVG for the last 3 years. It has been hassle-free and fastest to update.

#15     Apr 23, 2008
  6. Catoosa

Catoosa

I did not have the long boot time until 3 years ago when I upgraded my AVG from the paid anti-virus to the AVG paid anti-malware. I have not found any way to change the settings to shorten the boot time. All of my settings are set to only scan or test when I manually start the test (complete test, System test, etc.). I can disable the AVG resident shield or the anti-spyware component and the PC boot time will then be normal, but of course I do not want to do that. Except for my extended boot time, AVG has worked great for me and at the best price on the market for what it does.

#16     Apr 23, 2008
  7. I have tried them all, and NOD32 far the best. It's light on memory, you don't even notice it's running.

Avoid Norton and McAfee. I have them at work, boy, they are slow.

#17     Apr 23, 2008
  8. Catoosa

Catoosa

Yep, there has been so much good said here on ET about NOD32 that I have got to try it.

#18     Apr 23, 2008
  9. gnome

gnome

Maybe the culprit is the anti-spyware? I use AVG and have none of the slowness you describe, so there is something definitely a-foul with your rig...

Often when your rig gets slow, it's because there is a problem which the boot or process tries and tries over and again.. then eventually gives up and moves on. Get rid of the rub and your speed should return.

#19     Apr 23, 2008
  10. If you have a router, and use local firewall, don't go to "red zone" website, don't download music, don't open attachments, etc on the trading computer, do you really need anti-virus?

I've never had anti-virus protection and never had a problem in over a decade.

Of course you have to be smart about not opening anything, etc,....

#20     Apr 23, 2008