Antiquated Educational System?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Steve Tvardek, Jul 15, 2006.

1. maxpi

maxpi

I have friends and family that are big successes in [small ] businesses. One, Tom, I met one day because I was standing nearby when [we were in high school] somebody dared him to set off the fire alarm. I did not think anybody would do that but he disappears around a corner and next thing I know the alarm is going off and I am running for the hinterlands because I do not want to take the blame. He now lives in a gate guarded community on a private lake. My younger brother was absolutely incorrigable in school, hated all the authorities and believed nothing they ever said. He retired at 40. That's just the way it is, some kids will sit quietly and read a book and other ones will tear up the house.

#11     Jul 24, 2006
  2. Education's goal, since the early part of the 20th century (and probably before) has been much more about "citizenship" than teaching people any sort of realistic approach to dealing with the world.

"Citizenship" is a catch-phrase for teaching people to conform. The LAST thing any society, government, or religion wants is strong, independant thinkers. Such people are very difficult to control, or rally around some nonsensical political crusade.

#12     Jul 24, 2006
  3. Arnie

Arnie

Most MBA programs are structured to train mid level management.

#13     Jul 24, 2006
  4. Cesko

Cesko

"THE SOVEREIGN INDIVIDUAL"excellent book on the subject.

#14     Jul 24, 2006
  5. zxcv1fu

zxcv1fu

I agree our school sytem is not effective & is wasting lots of money & time.

Be careful with "Rich Dad Poor Dad" which is very likely to be a not true story:
    http://www.johntreed.com/Kiyosaki.html

#15     Jul 24, 2006