Anti Virus Free?

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by Samson77, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Thanks will do!

You use the FREE one right?

#11     Jun 17, 2005
  2. Samson,

Yes, freebie! The organization needs to pay, but it's the same version. I'll never forget the day I installed it, right after running a complete scan on Norton. AVG immediately found like 2 or 3 infections.

The other problem that got solved with AVG is that I found out Norton messes with some part of the registry that controls LAN, which made it impossible to access files from one computer to another through Windows explorer. I guess I just hate Norton, LOL.

btw Samson (sorry for off topic) but I finally said screw it to day trading, postion so much easier, place orders before open and leave for the day to go fishing or whatever. Hope all is well with you.

#12     Jun 17, 2005

3. What is nice is it will keep you running the latest download automatically. I have been using it for about 4 months seems to do the job, as I don't have any infections. Bundlemaker is correct about the site. I got it open a few minutes ago. But was also having trouble getting their. Keep at it, its worth it.

#13     Jun 17, 2005
  4. I just got it open, took about one minute top finally open.

#14     Jun 17, 2005
  5. da-net

da-net

I do not have any AV software on my systems because most of them have such huge resource usages. Instead I use the free online AVs from pandasoftware.com, ca.com, housecall.antivirus.com I have had only one worm get in my systems in over 8 years...the only reason I got that one was a network share where someone else brought it in and it was cleaned by the online AV sites.

#15     Jun 17, 2005
  6. #17     Jun 17, 2005
  7. Still no luck I have tried all morning and will keep trying thanks for all the help and opinions guys :D

#18     Jun 17, 2005
  8. zook

zook

I have norton on all of my computers, the license expires a year from install. I have never had to buy a new one because I usually have had to reformat my computer once a year and the Norton Antivirus just starts from scratch, the first few updates will take you about 1/2 hour if you have dsl (2-3 years of updates) then after that I still keep getting all of the new updates, from a year from that fresh install. It's great!

It's not like I am trying to scam but why pay when it's comes in free.

#19     Jun 17, 2005
  9. Visaria

Visaria

I use the free versions of the following:

AVG Anti Virus

Spybot Search & Destroy

AdAware SE (Lavasoft)

SpywareBlaster (Javacool)

ZoneAlarm firewall

I update them regularly and scan once a week. Appears to be adequate protection.

I used to use Norton but whenever if found something, it used to be the case that I would have find and manually delete stuff from the registry since Norton couldn't do it by itself.

#20     Jun 17, 2005