Anti Virus Free?

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by Samson77, Jun 17, 2005.

1. My subscription to my anti virus is running out and I was just curious to know if there are any GOOD free ones out there?

I hate paying for these things if I can get ones just as GOOD and SAFE.

2. r-in

r-in

You can do the trials and switch vendors at the end of the trial. I have a friend that does this all the time. He has to go in and delete some garbage in his registry so he can re register, but he knows what he is doing. I remind him what a cheap ass he is all the time. I think Computer Associates has a year trial, and I'm sure there are some free ones. To be honest, I pay the ~$35 per year, and don't see it as a real big burden. I'd much rather screw the exchanges that double up on me for having more than feed. We all have our areas that we like to skate on, but is that fee really that great for the protection it provides? Then again if I could get a free car I'd take it, it couldn't be any worse than the pile of shit Ford van I have.:D

3. http://www.grisoft.com/doc/40/lng/ww

4. range

range

I use "Spybot-Search and Destroy" and "Ad-aware". I have heard good things about those free programs from people who lnow more than I do, but I if there is a better solution, I am willing to pursue that.

5. I concur with Rickshaw. I've used AVG for several years now and find it catches things Norton didn't.

6. r-in

r-in

My cheap ass friend said he had problems with AVG. His computer was locking up on him until he removed it, but possibly it is a result of his computer more than AVG.
    Range, Adaware and Spybot aren't anti virus programs and don't provide the same protection as antivirus programs. In conjunction with the antivirus they are good, but alone not a good idea.

7. nkhoi

nkhoi

spy doctor go to download.com to download

8. Samson,

try tomorrow, once in awhile it seems the servers for the free stuff gets overtaxed (like today my auto updates aren't current to the hour, which fits with your trouble).

As for the comment about AVG locking up computer, I can say the same thing about McAfee and Norton. All depends, as the saying goes.

I use AVG on 3 home computers, and 12 computers in the office of a non-profit I do volunteer work for. All just sing along happily.

9. r-in

r-in

Yes, this guy is a comp.sci. nerd, much to the detriment of his computers, so more than likely it is his doing that AVG wasn't working. I happy he is a good guy, because he would make one heck of an evil hacker.:D

#10     Jun 17, 2005