Anthony Robbins - Neurolinguistic Programming (NLP)

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by James Daniel, May 11, 2006.

1. I think people are blowing this way out of proportion.

I believe NLP is just another tool that can be used for good or bad, in away. Obviously, if one becomes delusional with it and believe they are capable of doing anything with it, then that could lead to disaster for them.

On the other hand, if you understand the concept and its limits, it can be extremely useful, especially when combined with other tools/techniques. One of the things that stick out to me when trading, is to always remain positive about ones trading results. The second is to never stop studying yourself and your markets.

Anyone who believes they can become a successful trader simply by imagining themselves as one is looking for an easy meal and is truly mistaken.

I have been using NLP in conjunction with other techniques for two things in my life, and it has greatly helped me. Maybe it could help others, but like everything else, different people respond differently to different things.

#31     May 16, 2006
  2. Yeah. If in need, most people should better stick to something like astrology. Astrology is possibly less inferior to many other quack recipies peddled as market tools.

Don't use any of this myself. I always keep a rabbit's foot handy and rub vigorously as required.

nononsense

#32     May 16, 2006
  3. Mr B

Mr B

hey whatever turns you on.

#33     May 16, 2006
  4. i think the bottom line is any attempt to live a more fulfilling and prosperous existence can't be a bad thing.

all of these speakers, books, conferences are positive towards helping one have goals and a plan and executing. staying positive, having good relations with family and friends etc... if you can take a few ideas out of each of these tapes or seminars or whatever - it more then justifies the few dollars you spend on them. especially in trading, where really, you are battling yourself and your psyche 24/7

kudos to everyone who seeks this sort of thing out. there are so many mentally constipated people in the world who are not happy with there lives but continue to do exactly what makes them unhappy till they die.

nne

#34     May 16, 2006

5. My view of NLP is that it subtends trading in a way that makes trading more effective and efficient.

The trader's relationship to the market is what is at hand as I see it.

I find that the history of NLP and its contributors do not include Tony Robbins type purveyors. This narrow view is a result of how I value what NLP can do in support of improving knowledge, skills and experience.

So I keep myself conscious of how NLP may be used to help a trader capture what is in the space as he shares responsibilities with the market.

It may be that we think and store memories as "pictures" that we have the ability to construct as we learn. NLP is a strong support for "building" in several ways.

I find it to be the antidote for the unknown. It is very important for anyone to conduct themselves in the most benefitial manner for assymilating knowledge, skills and experience. This preferred conduct is just about the oppositie of the "pep talk" route displayed by Robbins et al.

There are some very definite and cardinal rules for "building" the mind. The mind deals with knowledge, skills and experience.

Another thing is also at play. The mind is where all knowledge is kept in place and reinforced. Skills are acquired as well. They are made available as demanded and the appropriate selection is very important.

we "learn" by experience. and the choises of what experiences are best for learning must be on the table at all times. Effectiveness and efficiency also apply to gaining experience.

It is the other thing that is at play that colors all of this. Sensory activities are what connects the "outside" to the "inside". And along with this connecting, there is a generation of emotion that comes from somewhere.

What comes to my mind is the interplay of the mind, the senses and the emotions. People I work with know, definitely, that I am putting into the picture a lot of things for them to consider. I am creating earnestly something in them that makes them "work better". My deepest focus is on the biochemical activity that they generate as I work with them and then after when they are soloing.

Where does NLP fit into this scenerio? I have thought that through. I looked hardest at the generation of emotions. When the outside is connected to the inside, emotions are there as a consequence. Emotions are part and parcel of the biochemical generation process. Over 100 biochemicals are avaiable and they come from the white mush under the covering of the brain. They are generated elswhere, locally, as well.

They help the brain operate with various degrees of effectiveness and efficiency. The right biochemical at the right time and place is very important.

Who is in charge of this? It turns out that if preparations are made and in place, then the conscious part of a person is in charge. If not then the heritage of the person is running the show more or less unconsciously. It can get very bad and come to be very difficult as the unconscious rules.

So there is Programming. It is Neurolinguistic meaning in the language of the brain and nervous system.

So I focus on doing the preparation that a person needs to make the mind work better to handle knowledge, skills and experience. I especially, concentrate on "building" each of these so that the person is equipped and equipped fully.

I spent about 25 years finding out how markets work. Reducing this to a logic of links and nodes and raw data entering the system allowed me to see and understand what markets do, how they work and why they work as they do.

the market partners with the traders and it is incombent upon the trader to be fully equipped and in synch with the market. There is also a sharing of responsibilities and the obligation to do no more or less than the responsibilities dictate.

So it turns out NLP is the glue that interconnects the sensory system, the mind, and the emotions. NLP allows a person to do preparations. Such as done lead to a conscious operating modus that always generates the right biochemicals at the right time for the superior and fluid use of the mind in time and synchronicity with the markets.

Knowledge is aquired and is used to fill up the mind. A full mind allows for all else. The process of trading requires periodic sensings and acquiring data sets. They have "appearances" and the appearances come from NLP. The appearance is compared with memory sets containing a complete set of appearances.

When a pairing occurs, another aspect of NLP kicks in. All pairs are in correspondence with "conclusions". This is the analysis function of the trader's mind. Conclusions, as a set, were built over time through experiences of events that worked. NLP allows the conclusion to be paired with the data set that has its unique "appearance".

A child learns of his family. he has a set of appearances. He can look at a person and also relate that person to "who" he is and how he works.

Conclusions (of analysis), as a set, are paired to decisions as a set. This is the third learned process a trader performs with effectiveness and efficiency. NLP affords a critical learning path for achieving the proper pairings.

NLP steps into the picture to make picutres of proper connections among sets and their respective appropriate elements.

The fourth mental aspect is converting a decision to timely action. Another pairing.

So I see my job as a menotr as one to "build"; to allow a person to acquire four sets of information: appearances, conclusions, decisions and timely actions. Four piles of stuff.

I cause the person to be successful in "pairing" in four separate mental undertakings, each of which require differing processes.

NLP is the glue for this. At its best the ancillary by product is the proper generation of biochemicals during the monitoring (sensory) process. Necessarily, all "building" is done on success, repeated success. This path is strictly determined by what the market does, how it operates and why it operates as it does.

NLP is not a "pep talk" functionality. It is quite the opposite. NLP is the creating of pictures in a neurolinguistic manner that enables the trading process to ensue.

So no one does this kind of stuff and alternatives result. There is a 90 failure rate among traders as a direct consequence of creating the wrong "responses" at the wrong time and the cummulative effect is FEAR and its associated biochemicals.

Pep talks are designed to create a series of specific biochemicals. They are put in place through coaching drills over a short period of time in a location very remote from the scene of real trading. they are summoned up in the face of what is generated by the trader as he senses the market which is in contrast to his equipment knowledgewise, skillswise and expereincewise. The trader "forces" the situation based upon being "drilled" remotely in a non trading environment (almost always in a crowd driven mentality).

Who wins. For a while the pep talk drills win. After that the market sensed data wins and inculcates just what it did formerly.....FEAR of the unknown.

Time for another hit with Tony...........

#35     May 16, 2006
  6. cnms2

cnms2

What NLP authors would you recommend?

#36     May 16, 2006
  7. Those links from Mktsurfer on page 4 make me think twice about the guy - but he is an absolutely amazing presenter - best I have ever seen by miles and miles. Didnt know he stole a guy's wife - he doesnt mention that!

#37     May 17, 2006
  8. I locate on the histograph of NLP with Tad James's stuff.

Further, I believe that looking at the subject from an orientation of relating it to others is best.

Advanced Neuro Dynamics uses a Dolby audio system and a support manual. 24 tapes (audio Cassettes)

#38     May 17, 2006
  9. I don't want any "trader's relationship to the market." All I need is an edge or strategy that makes money.
    Further, I need an ample supply of losers. These are the guys that pay for the profits of the few.

Jack and this NLP crap is indeed great to have those dopey losers keep up their "trader's relationship to the market", drugging themselves with those "24 NLP dolby tapes".

#39     May 17, 2006
  10. nononsense, mind showing us your past results to prove that you're not talking out of your a*se?

#40     May 17, 2006