Anthony Robbins - Neurolinguistic Programming (NLP)

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by James Daniel, May 11, 2006.

1. Robbins is amazing. Been to two seminars where he was on stage 15 hours a day three days in a row (seriously 10am to 1am) without once making a slip up or losing track. And you look around the audience and people are continuously mesmerised. He is very gifted.

As to helping you trade? It wont hurt. But not about trading.

#21     May 12, 2006
  2. Mr B

Mr B

if, like me, you can't stand Robbins with his cheesy grin and truisms, you might want to delve into the more academic side of hypnosis and NLP. check out Milton Erickson, Bandler and Grinder who are recognised therapists as opposed to "professional communicators" as Robbins calls himself. I find it easier to give creedence to an academic than self help author.

#22     May 12, 2006
  3. Academic side? Aren't you a little elitist? So if I am a moron but I have a pedigree and a Ph.D. from a med school you would listen to me and fork over $200/hour? Regardless if there is a value in what I am saying? Robins had a lot of new message for his time. Unfortunately for him it is hard to implement his NLP stuff. In my opinion it is better to meditate, lower your expectations and live true to your own code and you will be better for whatever you are trying to achieve. NLP never did it for me, but I doubt that Bandler or Grinder could have made a whole lot of difference. Reprogramming a self is harder than trying to archive natural enlightenment.
    P.S. nobody follows Robbins anymore - he "jumped a shark" quite a while back.

#23     May 12, 2006
  4. zxcv1fu

zxcv1fu

Interesting! I will never be anybody's follower. Always use my brain to think a little.

Motivation coach does not need college education seems. Which college did he graduate from? I can not find in his bio.

I like Psycho-Cybernetics exercises which does not require me to walk over fire to scare me to death:)

#25     May 13, 2006
  5. I believe this it will in fact help your trading. Being motivated, excited, positive and passionate will help in every aspect of your life, which will carry over into your trading. It's undeniable that psychology and mastering your emotions are a critical for a career as a trader.

#26     May 14, 2006
  6. yeah but u don't need an obsessive ever grinnin' delusional 'priest' to strip of u personality'n'u indipendent thinkin' to get there, innit[?]

#27     May 14, 2006
  7. cnms2

cnms2

There's a fine line between positive attitude and being delusional ... Not seeing this is painful for those around you, and will result in a painful wake up call for you. In trading it can end up in bankruptcy.

#28     May 14, 2006
  8. dchang0

dchang0

NLP is just a technology, a tool. It requires some measure of expertise to implement successfully, and many failed NLPers often blame the tool rather than their ineptitude.

The biggest reason people fail at NLP is that they choose to implement goals that are contrary to their subconscious goals.

For instance, I originally tried to program myself to be extremely passionate and enthusiastic about trading (studying, practicing, executing 10hrs/day). But, my excitement was constantly dogged by a tightness throughout my shoulders and neck that rapidly got worse as time went on.

After trying some of the techniques in "Core Transformation" by Connierae Andreas (a fantastic book which took me a damn long time to begin to understand and appreciate), I finally came to realize that my shoulders and neck (a subconcious "part") were trying to tell me that I was on the road to burnout and destroying my relationship--studying trading round the clock had a huge hidden cost.

Essentially, my goal of becoming a superstar trader was not ratified by a complete consensus of all my component parts. There are other core priorities and goals that I had underestimated such as being happily married and kicking back and enjoying life.

(Self-sabotage is as common a way of a part manifesting its opposition as physiological indications. So, if you find yourself sabotaging your own trading, it is probably for very good unconscious reasons that are as yet unbeknownst to you.)

I had to choose a modified trading goal that wouldn satisfy the core needs of my component parts, and once I did, NLP worked wonders in achieving that goal.
    It was amazing how easy it was to use once congruent goals were chosen--almost like opening the floodgates.

Of note: the self-worth problem I had was fixed with the Core Transformation technique. At the time, I was not
    skillful enough at (and didn't really believe in) Core Transformation "conversations" and had to seek a professional's help. Thanks to her help, my life has been on a much better track ever since. LIFE IS GOOD!

#29     May 16, 2006
  9. know enough about it to know that A> Robbins did not invent, create or improve on the subject, method or topic. He hijacked it to millions of profits and his estates in Fiji, of which he advertises as a reward for his MLM participants as if they couldn't pay for reasonable airfare and travel to that or any other location.

NLP as regards trading, in short is worth while, however, after the effects wear off, then one has to plan on the eventuality of what will I do with one's real self instead of one's epherial self, as imagined through the process.

another reality is, with risking one's money behind being re-imagined into a trader, then what happens when one is no longer in that mindset? Unexplained losses? Unexplained gains that can't be repeated on demand, thus resulting in larger losses?

#30     May 16, 2006