Anthony Robbins - Neurolinguistic Programming (NLP)

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by James Daniel, May 11, 2006.

1. Yeah, I don't know much about Emule or Azureus. :D

#11     May 11, 2006
  2. 25grand

25grand

I can see the ideas working in the short term - and maybe that is why someone said they are good for trading but not much else.

I just have a hard time believing that these types of techniques really change anyone - or anyone's behavior - over the long term.

Tell me if I am wrong.

#12     May 11, 2006
  3. I think you could be right. NLP is mainly based on copying the positive characteristics i.e. of a success trader. Obviously, some people will learn the new characteristics and they will become second nature; others, on the other hand, may actually find it difficult over the long run and revert back to what feels comfortable (natural) to them.

Same for hypnosis - it works on some, but not on others.

Personally, I have found it to be effective in my life, so I will continue to use until otherwise.

#13     May 11, 2006
  4. I love to listen to Anthony Robbins material, I find that when times get tough, it helps me even more. It helps me to refocus my efforts, manage my state, etc. It won't make you a successful trader, but it will help you achieve the success you desire.

As for Jake, I use some of his material as well. Good traders are synthesizers, they take what works, discard what doesn't, and apply it to their trading. Some of these guys on here just don't get it! Though I really hope you do!

#14     May 11, 2006
  5. dchang0

dchang0

NLP and hypnosis worked exceptionally well for me, not just in trading. I had a serious self-worth problem for most of my life and was able to rectify that like switching railroad tracks. My life has been going in a much better direction ever since that point, especially regarding choosing good women as girlfriends.

It's hard to describe in print since it's so experiential--you can try it if you are willing to REALLY try it. Skepticism will only result in failure, thereby justifying itself.

I suggest starting with "Introducing Neuro-Linguistic Programming" by Joseph O'Connor and John Seymour. It's a good introductory text that doesn't sell any seminars, courses, or CDs/DVDs. Most people who would reject Anthony Robbins (on the ad hominem argument that his message is false because he stands to make money by disseminating it) would find this book to be benign in that regard.

The book is out of print and can be found in most libraries as it was a bestseller in its time.

#15     May 11, 2006
  6. The important thing is that you do.

In fact, I have no doubt that you could synthesize a cow pie into a delicious grilled cheese sandwich.

#16     May 11, 2006
  7. i find tony robbins very motivating.

however its not for everyone. a LONG time ago, i sent my lazy, sleepy, nymphy girlfriend to his firewalk seminar. she walked on fire and was super psyched about starting her business, etc for about a week. then, she was back to her old self...... it did not last. then others seem to be able to take his words and actually change their lives.

surfer

#17     May 11, 2006
  8. there are other alternatives for traders

The power of now by Eckhart Tolle ( more spiritual but worthwhile )

Make up your mind once and for all by Peter Alan Armstrong

The Trading Tribe by Ed Seykota

#18     May 11, 2006
  9. I am a Robbins fan but he knows crap about trading and investing.
    He is also super expensive so I would avoid his more face to face seminars. In my opinion you can make certain moves i.e. meditation or state management alas NLP but I would be leery of all vendors and guru's in this area. It is a snakepit. Buyer beware! I have his old tape set and you can buy some good Robbins stuff from ebay. of course read his books they are good!

#19     May 11, 2006
  10. The thing that some people may not realize is that the very act of trying something new to resolve a problem makes them feel better...for a while. It can even be quackery, so long as it is novel and the subject feels that he is being proactive. The litmus test is whether it "takes." That is what separates the wheat from the chaff. My guess is that NLP is littered with short-term enthusiasts. My guess is also that the majority of the longer-term enthusiasts have something to sell you. Make no mistake, I think a feel-good pep talk is great. Just make sure you know what you're paying for.

#20     May 12, 2006