Anthony Robbins - Neurolinguistic Programming (NLP)

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by James Daniel, May 11, 2006.

1. dchang0

dchang0

Agreed--the same thing happened with me.

Anyway, I think a lot of people who spew ad hominem attacks against NLP coaches are reacting to the (advertised) impression that NLP is a magical, no-effort-except-writing-a-check, quick-fix to all of life's problems. Their inner skeptic is right to react in this manner, but the real NLP is by no means easy nor omnipotent. It's a tool--a very effective one--that requires considerable skill and determination to apply properly.

Otherwise, I am sure that all successful traders are using some techniques that fall within the NLP toolset, whether they know it or not. NLP can be boiled down to "self-brainwashing" or "talking oneself into doing things," and anybody who is consistently successful at trading has already figured out how to do this, especially during their learning period(s).

#91     May 22, 2006
  2. toby400

toby400

Could you post a chart to pictorially represent the above please Grob?

#92     May 22, 2006
  3. 25grand

25grand

Amazing... I have posted three posts and you assume to know me and what I am doing and why I ask. Let's just say that your assumptions are incorrect.

#93     May 22, 2006
  4. In what ways? Grob pretty much nailed it for me (and I think he was referring to me when he said "the currency guy") when I read between the lines. It took a few days but nowadays I am leaning more on Grobs words (my interpretation of them at least) - i.e. doing more frequent trades than before. I have been maintaining on ET since joining that swing trading is the way as I have been looking for that 1 trade in the day to catch 80% of the days range.

In this past week I have been paper trading with the same strategy but using different timeframes. I am shooting for 30% of the daily range and doing about a dozen trades a day on the euro - offcourse a few scratch trades are there but I am noticing allround improvement (all on paper).

I started as a day trader, then swing, now it seems I might go back to day trading - but using the mindset of a swing trader if that makes sense. Why am I thinking to make the change again? The repetition as Grob stated is important as it creates a mental pattern that is easier to repeat. The main thing that I don't like about position trading is the stress of having to constantly find a new opportunty which happens less frequent. If I miss it the day is ruined.

Frequency=familiarity=less stress=in the zone trading. My main concern was I would end up a scalper but 30% of the daily range is not really scalping nor is it swinging - it's kind of a nice balance between the two. I have also decided to dumb it down by not worrying about the exits too much - i.e. fibonnacci etc. rather to set and forget a TP. To quote Grob, either hold or Reverse as oppossed to enter and exit, so I guess having some kind of TP frees up the mental space to concentrate on "when to reverse". Just some thoughts of mine at present.

I don't see why I cannot put it in practise.

#94     May 24, 2006
  5. 25grand

25grand

He presumed I was asking for myself for one.

I was asking because in addition to my own scalping in the mind-dow and trading FX, I use my background in neuropsychology and psychoanalysis to work with traders on their psychology.

I know that there are lots of coaches out there who use NLP and claim it works. I admit to being biased against it and was looking for at least some objective information about how it helping other people - for my own learning.

He wanted to talk about my trading - which he presumed to know something about. He assumed I was talking about myself.

I have perfectly good methods for dealing with my own emotions and extremely powerful ones - at least that is what my clients say - for dealing with theirs. I was simply trying to be fully educated regarding what others also find useful. Period.

#95     May 24, 2006
  6. Thats just Grobs guru like stature here on ET - Presumption of knowing about someones methods/psychology is kind of the first step for a Guru to attract a disciple. Your coming from a western analytical/logic perspective, he is about 70% Eastern intuitive. Both valid approaches in my book.

#96     May 24, 2006
  7. 25grand

25grand

Yes, I recently revisited this site after being gone for a few years so I remember him.

I am still interested in hearing from traders who have used NLP to improve their P&L and found it to work over any valuable length of time.

Feel free to send me PM if that works better for anyone.

#97     May 31, 2006