Answer from author of "terrorist" to the islamic group lawsuit of 80 millions $

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by harrytrader, Jun 25, 2003.

1. http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030612/dcth050_1.html

Press Release Source: Rita Katz

Author of 'Terrorist Hunter' Rita Katz Responds to Lawsuits
    Thursday June 12, 4:33 pm ET

WASHINGTON, June 12 /PRNewswire/ -- The following is a statement by Rita Katz:
    On May 4 of this year, 60 Minutes aired a segment featuring the anonymous author of the book, Terrorist Hunter. The author, appearing in disguise and using the name "Sarah," detailed how she investigated certain organizations located at 555 Grove Street in Herndon, Virginia, and how her research led the government to launch an investigation and to conduct a widely publicized raid on the Grove Street location and other locations related to it.

ADVERTISEMENT

During the 60 Minutes segment, a chart was displayed that showed connections among some of the organizations located at 555 Grove Street to terrorist front groups. In a lawsuit filed last week, two organizations allege that by showing that chart the author of "Terrorist Hunter" implies that the plaintiffs are tied to the financing of terrorism. Most importantly, the lawsuit states that I, Rita Katz, am the anonymous author of "Terrorist Hunter" -- and names me and the organization I direct, the SITE Institute (The Search for International Terrorist Entities), as defendants.

What the complaint fails to state, as shown on 60 Minutes and detailed in "Terrorist Hunter," is that organizations and individuals associated with 555 Grove Street are currently under federal investigation for their alleged ties to the financing of terrorists. The complaint also fails to mention that the 555 Grove Street site and other locations affiliated with the plaintiffs were raided in March 2002 by federal agents. According to the U.S. government's search warrant executed for 555 Grove Street, it was the government's belief that a search of this location would uncover "evidence, fruits and instrumentalities of the provision of material support to foreign terrorist organizations, conspiracy to defraud the United States by impeding the functions of the Internal Revenue Service, and conspiracy to engage in international transfers of money to promote offenses against foreign nations involving murder or destruction of property by means of explosives."

Although I wanted to remain anonymous in order to protect myself and my family, this lawsuit has forced me to change my position.

I am proud to announce that I am the author of "Terrorist Hunter." I stand behind every word in my book, and I stand behind every word I said on 60 Minutes. I will gladly guide any judge or jury through the mass of information I compiled before writing my book that led me to the doors of 555 Grove Street.

In addition to describing my pivotal role in the investigations that led to the raid on 555 Grove Street in "Terrorist Hunter," I detail my contribution to the global war on terrorism and my work with various government officials, including those at the White House, the FBI, the INS and Customs.

The plaintiffs' lawsuit is an attempt to shut me up, to shut down the SITE Institute, and to discredit me. As for my credentials, I have served as a source for investigative pieces, have been quoted by, or appeared on, many media outlets, including The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal, The Chicago Tribune, Newsweek, Time, the Baltimore Sun, the Tampa Tribune, the New York Post, Canada's National Post, CNN, Fox News, CNBC, NPR, and BBC. In addition, I am a consultant on terrorism and the financing of terrorism to several government agencies, and private organizations.

As for silencing me and stopping my investigations, quite the opposite is going to happen. This lawsuit provides me with a welcome opportunity to learn more about the plaintiffs. Through the legal tools available to me as a result of this civil suit, I also expect to unearth new information that will add significantly to our understanding of the terrorist financial network. This litigation has emboldened me more than ever to continue my fight against terrorists and their support networks in this country.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Source: Rita Katz