Another weird laptop issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by syd697, Jul 8, 2009.

1. syd697

syd697

I'm using a Dell Dimension 6000 laptop.

There definitely wasn't any place to disable the "tapping" function in the mouse icon within the control panel.

#21     Jul 9, 2009
  2. GFX007

GFX007

Are you sure it's not (Dell Inspiron 6000), I didn't find any results with "Dimension".

#22     Jul 9, 2009
  3. syd697

syd697

Yes, sorry, it's an Inspiron 6000. The Dimension is my desktop.

#23     Jul 9, 2009
  4. GFX007

GFX007

Go to this link:

http://support.dell.com/support/dow...emID=INS_PNT_6000&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

Once you enter the link you will notice that (Windows Xp) is selected, if that's not your OS then change it to the OS you have.

Expand the blue [+] sign in: {Input Device Drivers (2) }

In Alps - Driver
    click on "Download Now"

A new window will appear, Click on Download with your internet browser, (the second option)

Install it and then Restart your system.

Then go to Control panel -> Mouse and you should have a "tapping" tab.

let me know how it goes.

#24     Jul 9, 2009
  5. syd697

syd697

I clicked on the first option by accident (Dell manager or something). I saw the "to your internet browser" but I hit the other one by mistake and now it won't let me go back and choose the internet browser version.

The one I did download can't find the application to open it and now it took me to a page for the .net framework?

This is all f%^ed up (pardon my language).

Don't worry, I'll get it done.

#25     Jul 9, 2009
  6. GFX007

GFX007

You need to clear your browser cookies because all the settings information are saved there, once you do that you will be able to choose the other option. Or if you are using Mozilla Firefox, then open the link in Internet Explorer, vice versa.

EDITED: You figured out the cookies thingy just as I was posting. : P

#26     Jul 9, 2009
  7. syd697

syd697

Needed to clear the cookies, now I can download it. Will let you know how it goes.

#27     Jul 9, 2009
  8. It is most likely a matter of your thumb inadvertently touching or brushing against the touch pad while you type. Here's how to quickly disable the touchpad:

-Open up Control Panel

-Click on Mouse Icon

-Click on Dell touchpad

-Click on Device Select

-Under "Touchpad", click disable. Or at the lower left it gives you an option to disable touchpad when usb mouse is present.

-Click Ok.

-Done.

Hope this helps

#28     Jul 9, 2009
  9. syd697

syd697

Ok, got it all done! Downloaded, installed, and disabled the touchpad.

Thanks for everyones help guys. Let's hope that this was truly the cause of the problem (which I think it is).

Regards.

#29     Jul 9, 2009
  10. syd697

syd697

Ok, got it all done! Downloaded, installed, and disabled the touchpad.

Thanks for everyones help guys. Let's hope that this was truly the cause of the problem (which I think it is).

Regards.

#30     Jul 9, 2009