Another Victim of the Ultra Liberal PC Police in Academia.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Max E., May 9, 2012.

1. piezoe

piezoe

Nice to read a well-written, informative post. Thank you.

#11     May 11, 2012
  2. Mav88

Mav88

it used to be called things like history and cultural anthropology, then the left took over....

#12     May 11, 2012
  3. piezoe

piezoe

That, I must say, was one of a very few of your posts worth reading. Congratulations!

#13     May 11, 2012
  4. What do you mean? History programs that focus on specific regions shouldn't just be called 'history.' Also, Asian studies (as I said before, I'm not in a position to speak on behalf of African studies), also looks at contemporary and traditional philosophy, art history, and economics of Asia, so it is not merely a history program. There's no problem with diversity in education, it's actually a good thing that leads to more ideas and information. But as Riley points out, it stops being productive when it takes on an accusatory tone that does not advance any discussion or critical examination of information.

#14     May 11, 2012
  5. Mav88

Mav88

History, Asian History, WWII history, Art History... its all nice, but very prone to manipulation as you point out. We used to call cultural anthropology Social Studies, the name changed that's all.

We don't need some sort of formal 'diversity' in education, education is diversity. As to Humanities leading to anything useful, that stopped happening long ago.

#15     May 11, 2012
  6. Sorry, I wasn't clear. Diverse people can do whatever they want; I don't care about *enforcing* diversity in student bodies or faculty, it should all be based on merit. I did mean that diversity in fields of studies is very useful as having a variety of topics does expand knowledge.

But please, don't make generalizations about Humanities. There are many useful fields within Humanities (such as English (look at how people write here), Linguistics, and other language programs). However, liberal arts colleges stopped giving any incentives for students in these fields to be competitive and also have stopped providing rigorous programs in these fields.

#16     May 11, 2012
  7. piezoe

piezoe

I was trying to think of a way to respond to your post above in some constructive way that could avoid hurling insults. Sadly, I was unable to.

If only I'd had an even better education in the humanities I might have succeeded.

#17     May 11, 2012
  8. Physicists ask "what is this?
    Engineers ask "what can I do with this?"
    Social Scientists ask "would you like fries with this?"

We're oversupplied with social scientists, their best bet at a living wage is a career in academia and they will do axe murders to hang on to those jobs. The axe murder with the backing of the lamestream lapdog liberal media is the new paradigm of political dialogue. Liberals pruned the conservative family tree with their public axe murder of Herman Cain because he was actually a conservative. They will defend their jobs in academia with axe murders because it's all they've got, their policies are failing, have failed for decades, but I guess they've got nowhere else to go but to Jesus and they aren't going there...

In Liberalspeak the word "racist" means anybody that wins a debate with a Liberal....

#18     May 11, 2012
  9. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Everyone does realize that Afro-American Studies programs are simply a way of providing minority athletes easy A's in no-show courses. The most recent example of this is the recent scandal at UNC Chapel Hill where a report revealed widespread problems in Afro-Studies department including unauthorized grades, forged signatures and other irregularities.

UNC report reveals widespread problems in Afro-Studies department

Prof 'sickened' by UNC academic scandal

More than half of the students enrolled in the classes in question were athletes, according to Nancy Davis, associate vice chancellor for university relations. 246 of them were football players (36 percent of enrollments); 23 were basketball players (3 percent); and 131 (19 percent) were students who competed in Olympic sports.

#19     May 11, 2012
  10. Lucrum

Lucrum

Interesting, but not surprising.

#20     May 11, 2012