Another veteran has passed

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by taclander, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Buried my Dad today. He had full Military honors at his burial. If you have any care for this country, go and watch the men and women who perform the ceremony. I made it through being at his side when he died, all the planning, and doing his eulogy without crying. I did start to crack during the eulogy a bit, but not too much. They Fired off the rifles in perfect unison, and you here the brass hitting the concrete, then they blow taps, and finally fold the flag with more care than most people show their kids these days. Yea, I lost it. Had a hard time getting out a thank you to the sargent handing me the flag. Cripes, what a ceremony.
    I know there are a few here who have served our country, and I thank you with all my heart. And to those serving now, I offer a prayer everyday.
    Anyway, long day here, God Bless.

Handle123, toucan and wrbtrader like this.
  2. Lucrum

Lucrum

My sincere condolences, and I'm sorry to hear that.

I can't even remember the last time I cried, but there's certainly no shame in crying at your dad's funeral. I attended my wife's step dad's funeral, a Korean war veteran, some years ago.
    I have tremendous respect for those who've served; and that generation in particular.

3. lindq

lindq

I share your memories, as I buried my father a couple years ago at a national cemetery. WWII, Korea, Vietnam pilot. The ceremony was overwhelming and one of the most vivid experiences of my life.

4. WWII, and Korea for my Dad. Towards the end of WWII he led his company taking the town of Dachau, while another company in his unit took the Death Camp. The next day his company went over to help with the guarding of Dachau. War was horrible, but what he saw there I think I can say changed him forever.

5. Max E.

Max E.

Sorry to hear taclander, the country owes guys like your dad a huge debt of gratitude.

6. fhl

fhl

A very tough time in anyone's life, when their father passes.

I hope you make it through ok.

7. LEAPup

LEAPup

From one Veteran to the Son of another. My prayers go out to you, and your Father who is the reason we're free.

8. Sorry for your loss. Its very hard losing a parent
    You will always know he lived giving and we are all grateful to him for serving.
    Peace to your family.

9. My condolences to you and your family. Buried my dad back in 98. He was with the 11th Airborne during WW II. Our parents were some brave and courageous men and women.

10. achilles28

achilles28

Our Veterans are heros.

"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13

God Bless.

#10     Aug 24, 2011