Another trader searching for Mentor

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by rocknroll, Jun 24, 2007.

1. buy books!

#11     Nov 15, 2007
  2. Beware Greeks bearing gifts. In other words, I wouldn't pay someone I don't know $50 to mentor me, let alone $10K.

Take $10K down to the roulette wheel and put in on one number. This is more likely to gain riches than listening to a strange person acting like he is the real deal.

#12     Nov 15, 2007
  3. Reduce your F'n size till you have a clue what you are doing. No way should you have had that large of a draw down in 2 days. 5 weeks gone in two days? Msg me on IM some time around 11am during a trading day. I'll mentor you some, and do it for free over IM , but expect to get yelled at.

I can not believe that.
    ChaosNSX's rules for not blowing out while learning.

Stage one- Preservation of capital
    - Proper position sizing for your account. (Neophytes shouldn't use excessive leverage)

- Defined trade risk

- Turn off CNBC, forget the hype. Markets go up, markets go down. (Avoid anything that creates a mental confirmation bias at all costs. Wire your mind into thinking your entry into every trade is dead wrong, and manage it from there.)

- No revenge trading, let it go, you will make it back somewhere else.

- Determine your psychological loss level (Where your logical judgement starts to get clouded and when you feel and become aware of it, stop trading for the day.)

- If you have a down day reduce your size the subsequent days, until you put in some consistency.

- Don't even think of averaging down past your predetermined risk level. (Make sure when scaling in that the your full position is not to large of a percent of your entire portfolio. 1-3%)

- Have multiple portfolio holdings, do not put your eggs in one basket. Diversify your equity in different inversely correlated instruments. Make sure you are not in a bunch of one without the other.

- Wake up early, Meditate before the open, quiet your mind so you can put in the effort needed to calm your self enough to be aware that the position you are in is wrong. (You are wrong wrong wrong..not until you have booked your profit are you right. You are wrong the whole time you are up in the position.)

- Stay on top of your positions, do not abandon the screen frequently.

Stage two, Scaling up the size.
    ...New psychological issues
    ...New liquidity issues
    ...New awareness
    ...Same approach

Let me know if you ever get to stage 2.

#13     Nov 15, 2007
  4. That is exactly what you should do, What is you trading style? are you daytrading by any chance??:confused:

#14     Nov 16, 2007
  5. Here is a freebie. Invest into a Hedge fund or a mutual fund.
    Your Welcome.:)

#15     Nov 16, 2007

6. This sounds like the way to go. Even if the style is different then your own it will pay to watch someone who knows what he is doing. If you cant learn something from someone making money then your not spending enough time/effort in learning the trade.

Another approach is fading markets. here is my journal http://elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99082&perpage=6&pagenumber=46

I wont enter a trade unless I feel I have over a 90% chance of making money. My style is not for most though but it could prove to be informative regardless. I can be found on the ET chat 3-4 days a week during normal trading hours.

I suggest you read market wizards I and II. all of Tom Demarks books, Vics book, and some TA books.

I also suggest not trying to reinvent the wheel or experiment with money. read read read and then find someone to talk / mentor with. You will have a better idea of what they are saying and will also be able to ask better questions that will help you more.

Best of trading.

Bob

#16     Nov 16, 2007