Another Suggestion Baron

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by rtharp, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Can I get an example of that because I don't know what "rq" is.

Users are already required to have unique email addresses for each account, so the only other two options would be:

1. Fee-based membership
    2. Blocking users who try to register from an IP address that's already been used another member.

Blocking IPs doesn't really work though because almost all ISPs don't assign unique, static IPs to their customers. So you may currently be using an IP today that was just used yesterday by another member. When IPs are shared, it's difficult to treat IPs as a unique qualifier when they really aren't.

#11     Jul 12, 2002
  2. I have seen this solution that work great for to limit the nickname inside a forum: don't accept hotmail, yahoo and other email of this kind, only email that come from ISP, the users will have problem to find many email for to do crap.

#12     Jul 12, 2002
  3. ddefina

ddefina

Good idea. Many pay sites do this to prevent fraud.

#13     Jul 12, 2002
  4. cartm

cartm

I use to see Firetalk and Hearme as the 2 apps that did this, but it looks like either they went 11 or Paltalk bought them. I know it could be done through Msn and Yahoo instant messenger but I am not sure if it is possible through a room, I dont see why not. Also, Rq is Ravenquote, where they had a gateway where users could post charts and formulas for their charts. There is also the option of hiring a IT VOIP pro or company to put something togeather. I am not sure how much, but that would cost a few grand. I dont know much about it though so I could be wrong. Anyone else have opinions on it? Thanks

#14     Jul 12, 2002
  5. WarEagle

WarEagle Moderator

While I agree that it would make it harder to have multiple accounts, it is a pain for all of us legitimate members who use hotmail. I don't give out my isp email to anyone other than family because I don't want junk in it. I use my hotmail account for all other things. That way, if my email gets on a mailing list (whether sold or taken in some other way) it doesn't clog my "good" address. Besides, the type of people you want to keep out (TradeRX, etc..) will find ways around it because they have the free time and intent to do it. Its just plugging one hole in a leaky dam. Rather, why not use the ignore function for any usernames you deem malicious? Thanks to Tharp it is now easier than ever! :)

#15     Jul 12, 2002
  6. About the privacy, you could have to suppply your ISP email for Barron control only, and offer a public email that come from hotmail or yahoo for EliteTrader members. Other check, could be charge a symbolic 1$ on a credit card, but I think that this will not be a good idea to charge higher fee for the site, because many valuable peoples and corporation could be quit the forum.

#16     Jul 12, 2002
  7. Babak

Babak

North Pesos, you read my mind (or was it my post?):

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6946&perpage=6&pagenumber=1

:)

I know that it would be a small inconvenience to use the ISP e-mails we have but it is the least invasive way of introducing some sort of filter. There are none here right now. I know I'm not alone (from numerous pms) that doesn't want to see a cancerous growth like TradeRX take down the calibre of this forum any further.

We still have to hear from Baron to see if this is implementable.

#17     Jul 13, 2002
  8. Yes that may be the rub. I was on another list that required this but in reality there was no good way of checking each email address to ensure it is the person's ISP. Now maybe I'm wrong and someone knows of a way (would be good news) that would also be easy to implement. I'm all for cutting down on multiple personalities. I don't have time enough to keep up with this one, let alone several dozen like some others. I wonder how they find the time?

#18     Jul 13, 2002
  9. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I agree. Banning free email accounts sounds good at first until one takes a realistic look at how many sites are on the net that provide free email. Although hotmail and yahoo are probably the biggest, there are thousands of other smaller sites that provide free email accounts. Banning them all would be impossible. I'm all for increasing the quality of posts -- and members -- on the site but unfortunately I think this situation is like the home or auto security business. In other words, if somebody really wants to break into your car or house, they are going to do it. There's no alarm, steering wheel club, or any other method that's going to stop someone who REALLY wants to break in. Likewise, if a person really wants to create multiple identities or just be a jerk on the boards, it's very difficult -- if not impossible -- to totally prevent.

#19     Jul 13, 2002
  10. Babak

Babak

Baron,

I respectfully disagree.

You are right, there is no method that would prevent intrusion at 100% efficacy. Be it your home, auto or computer. But does that mean that people don't use locks/alarms, and firewalls to prevent such break in attempts?

Right now ET is like a house with its doors wide open. You can't say "Why close/lock the door, when someone who really wants to can break in anyway?" It simply is not logical.

Concerning your concern that there are too many 'free' web based e-mail providers, yes there are. But there is a list of them available, and this method is effective. Otherwise so many websites would not have implemented this protective technique.

Here is an example:

http://www.hackerwhacker.com:4000/startdemo.dyn?answer=hackers

In the end, this is your playground and we are playing with your ball and bat, which means that whatever you decide is what counts. But please take this matter seriously and do something as many are getting fed up. Thanks.

#20     Jul 13, 2002