another Study Finds Fox News Viewers Least Informed Of All Viewers

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, May 24, 2012.

1. the first study was just one state. this one is the whole us. no surprise here give what we see on et daily:

Another study has concluded that people who only watch Fox News are less informed than all other news consumers.

Researchers at Fairleigh Dickinson University updated a study they had conducted in late 2011. That study only sampled respondents from New Jersey, where the university is located. This time, the researchers conducted a nationwide poll.

"The largest effect is that of Fox News: all else being equal, someone who watched only Fox News would be expected to answer just 1.04 domestic questions correctly -- a figure which is significantly worse than if they had reported watching no media at all."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/23/fox-news-less-informed-new-study_n_1538914.html?ref=media

2. Damn, now this should really make a difference come November.

I think Obama can win now.

3. only one question for verification purposes. how much fox do you watch?

4. Max E.

Max E.

Whoops another lie by Free Thinker, who is by far the most uninformed person on this site.....Not that i care much, as the only person i listen to on fox is O'Reilly from time to time.....

[​IMG]

5. None. And that answer is the same for every other cable and network news stations.

It does appear you love TV though.

Maybe you should go on Jeopardy?

6. None, I don't get TV at all, over the air, cable or satellite.

Funny how leftist think conservatives must be told on a daily basis how to think and what our talking points should be.

Sounds a bit like wishful thinking or projection to me.

7. http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/jon-stewart-gets-it-right-about-foxnews/question-1907797/

Adam Serwer: "The Problem With Politfact's Work On This Is That They're Really Comparing Apples And Oranges." In a June 22 American Prospect post, Adam Serwer wrote:

The problem with Politfact's work on this is that they're really comparing apples and oranges. The Pew studies measured viewers' knowledge of certain basic matters that no one is actually suggesting Fox News misinforms its viewers on. No one is arguing that Fox News misleads its audience about which party controls Congress, what volcano erupted last week, or whether John Bolton's mustache is secretary of state. Jane Hamsher had a good response to this, pointing out that being "misinformed" and "ill-informed" are not the same thing. An avid watcher of Fox News would likely be able to identify the speaker of the House or the attorney general, but they're also far more likely to think the president was born in Kenya. Put another way, someone who erroneously believes that the Civil War was fought over "states' rights" and not slavery would still likely know which side of the war Robert E. Lee fought on.

Rather, the issues on which Fox misinforms its viewers are on matters of fact that conservatives would like not to be true. For instance, one recent study that Politfact shied away from because conservatives "criticized its methodology" is the only one that actually measures public knowledge on the issues in question. That survey found that Fox News viewers were far more likely to believe, falsely, that most scientists don't believe climate change is happening, that there were no tax cuts in the stimulus, that income taxes have gone up, and that Obama wasn't born in the United States. It's fair to question whether or not respondents should be asked questions about what "economists" thought of the stimulus, but that problem isn't present with many of the other survey questions, which measure easily verifiable facts not subject to interpretation.

In other words, Politfact's fact check evaluates a claim Stewart wasn't actually trying to make. [The American Prospect, 6/22/11]

8. Max E.

Max E.

And i have seen these tests done about "fox news" where the question was "Will Obamacare add to the deficit" and the people who said yes back when Obamacare was up for debate were considered wrong. Low and behold 2 years later when all the funny math is gone it is adding to the deficit.

The polling company who was staring a 1.5 trillion dollar deficit in the eye, and actually thought that Obamacare would not add to the deficit, are dumber than the climate change deniers..... So lots of times the answers end up being highly subjective....