Another senseless asshole with a gun killing innocent people.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by constitutionman, Nov 8, 2018.

1. exGOPer

exGOPer

This guy looks like an incel/nazi, 29 year old white male with tattoo overkill.

#11     Nov 8, 2018
  2. he wasn't an incel. he was another poor soul who served his country honorably and his country and his government failed to take care of him. A vet with PTSD. 700Billoins in the defense budget every fucking year and we can't take care of the people who fight for us to have the right to fucking mouth off about everything. fuck republicans and fuck democrats for failing these kids. fuck them.

#12     Nov 8, 2018
  3. vanzandt

vanzandt

I am not disagreeing, but just for the sake of discussion... there had to be thousands and thousands of WW2 vets that saw their buddies get blown apart. PTSD wasn't even a clinical diagnosis back then I don't think. So what's different now? I don't have an answer for that.

But lets face it, when you join the armed forces, you'd better be ready to see some sh*t. Right? We have an all volunteer force. They weren't drafted.

It is very very tragic though. The suicide rate and all that. Its unfortunate this kid chose to not go out alone. But I don't care how fucked up or depressed you get... don't take 12 other people out with ya. I have no sympathy for this kid. If he wanted to make a statement, he should have wrote a long letter and sent it to everyone from Trump to the NYT's. And then killed himself. I can't believe he was a Marine. That tarnishes the Corp.

#13     Nov 8, 2018
    Cuddles likes this.
  4. This hits home so close for me. What he did was cowardly and a disgrace to his service and the people whom he served. poor innocent people died and there is no excuse for that.
    First of all, we had a much better family system of support during the WWII era. there was less access to guns and drugs and we had much better government services and support for vets. WWII was a righteous and clearly good vs. evil war. our recent wars have been more politically motivated, more prolonged with no end goals. no one questioned why we fought in WWII but we have had opposition to most of the other ones we fought, especially the recent ones.
    Second of all, there are so many failure points here that I don't even know where to start. most important one, he shouldn't have had access to firearms, cause as you said people can get messed up. apparently, he had an incident with the law enforcement and they checked on him and they let him go after they figured out he had a mental issue. this kid was obviously gone but our system shares the blame and the shame with him. if we had a solid background check and a database that was available to all of the LE folks, this could have been maybe prevented. VA, DOJ, local Police, and other agencies all need to be able to communicate and share information.

lastly, this doesn't tarnish the MC, it's a stain on our system as a whole (politicians, gun nuts, health care system that cares more about profits than caring and ...)

#14     Nov 8, 2018
    vanzandt likes this.
  5. LacesOut

LacesOut

The difference now is very simple..
    Prescription drugs, specifically SSRI meds.

#15     Nov 8, 2018
    TJustice likes this.
  6. It was known as combat exhaustion. In WWI is was shell shock. It's always been with us. The name changes, the symptoms always the same. What did pervious vets do? They drank and drugged themselves into oblivion. They filled the mental institutions. They lived the lives of the real walking dead. Any and every mental and emotional problem that one has will be brought to the surface in combat. Every suppressed demon will be unleashed.
    constitutionman is 100% correct. It is a crime the way returning vets are discarded, a crime of indifference. Count these 12 dead, and the shooter himself, among the casualties of the war. You want monsters to keep the world safe? Then you better have some way to de-monster the monster when they come home, otherwise this is the price.

#16     Nov 8, 2018
    Tom B, constitutionman and vanzandt like this.
  7. Cuddles

Cuddles

Plenty of incels and crazies join the army, no different than any other profession. Fuck this guy for not swallowing a gun like a man before murdering decent folk for his inability to get laid.

#17     Nov 8, 2018
  8. vanzandt

vanzandt

Thats a good post. And of course he didn't tarnish the Corp... I guess what I meant is that he perhaps tarnished the public perception for many who know nothing about nothing aside from what they get from their media feeds. So many (young people) will now have the meme of "crazy ex-vets" strengthened in their heads. In that regard, he let his brothers down. Bigtime.

#18     Nov 8, 2018
  9. LacesOut

LacesOut

Used to work in Thousand Oaks...nice area...

#19     Nov 8, 2018
  10. TJustice

TJustice

So correct.

I have seen a few women in their late 30s and 40s go on those meds.
    I became aware of it because of my job. People would be in my office relating serious financial issues but acting just so goofy and detached.

After a while you can pick the women out at a party or bbq or even after a simple conversation at school or the gym. Kind of sing song conversation. There is something about their eyes. Wide open but not focused in a normal way.

If your friends are women on SSRIs or your wife knows them you understand that rather than improve they all seem to suffer more and more anxiety when not on the meds because they are not dealing with their issues. Marital problems become worse. Divorce happens. Their half of the assets gets spent in copious amounts on silly shit (and the kids.) Then they have nothing and seem to all become suicidal.

If that is what it does to women... I can't begin to figure out what it must do to people with relatively larger amounts of testosterone.

(I know at times the drugs can be beneficial.)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    #20     Nov 8, 2018
    LacesOut likes this.