another republican meme discredited: tax cuts pay for themselves.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Gees, I was just reading some stats on this, can't find the article. Going from memory though, about 27% of the highway fund is for debt service, So if Obama offers up 50 billion for dot, 27% right off the top is going to help states with their debt load. Another large chunk (can't recall the number) maybe 18% is going for pensions, health care, etc. Somewhere in that 50 billion though are nickels and dimes for concrete.

#11     Oct 14, 2011
  2. wildchild

wildchild

I simply used the Bush Era. Pretty cut and dry.

#12     Oct 14, 2011
  3. rew

rew

The road building and maintenance that those taxes pay for would have to stop, so eventually the roads would crumble and bridges would collapse. I don't think that will do much for the economy.

#13     Oct 14, 2011
  4. Thank you. You've put some substance into the numbers that my post was lacking. I've been lambasted by some folks when I made a claim a few years back that all of these gigantic "rebuild America" projects were merely a ruse to fund the pensions and grease the palms of the guys who will "do a feasibility study".

#14     Oct 14, 2011
  5. Mercor

Mercor

The is the big Liberal myth used to raise taxes.

Roads always need fixing....but I don't read of to many bridges falling down

#15     Oct 14, 2011