another republican meme discredited: "job-killing regulations."

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, May 18, 2012.

1. I can understand some regulations, of course. And even agree with many environmental reg's, but CA has a zillion bureaucracies, way too many employed simply trying to justify their own jobs. Building slowdowns have developed from simply waiting for permits, caused by the gov't in my opinion. Just not streamlining as they should.

#31     May 18, 2012
  2. Max E.

Max E.

HAHAHAHAHA Dude, you should really just quit talking, you have already given us ample evidence you have never run shit....

So now based on this paragraph you are trying to claim that the way government saves a business money through regulation is because the people who follow the regulations created by the government cant get fined, or sued for as much as a person who didnt follow the regulations? This is the most ridiculous fucking argument i have ever heard....

As an example You are now trying to claim that a business is "saving money" because the regulators told the business based on fire code he has to move his door 2 inches to the left, and because the regulators told the business to move it 2 inches to the left, and the business owner complied, he can not be sued for not meeting code..... The regulators just saved the guy money.... Do you see how fucking assinine this is?

If there was no rule saying you had to have the door 2 inches to the left in the first place, there would be no grounds for the business to be sued on. It is ridiculous circular logic on your part.... and it just goes to prove that you are not a "free thinker"

In your fucked up view of the world, Businesses are saving money cause regulators force them to follow the regulations that THEY CREATED.

#32     May 18, 2012
  3. i agree. the op of this thread was supposed to be more focused on health and safety regulations. every state has dumb regulations too.

#33     May 18, 2012
  4. Ricter

Ricter

Haven't read the whole thread, but there's a good reason "Safety is #1" around here. Lost time injuries, and of course disability or death, costs absolutely dwarf the few tens of thousands spent on compliance every year, particularly if you give your insurance company reason to cut or deny benefits. I've been asked before, "off the record", if "safety is #1" is really #2, behind profit, and I told the gentleman, "don't entertain that for a second. Our margins are tight and under constant competitive pressure. One serious injury can wipe out the margin on a half-dozen jobs in an instant."

That said, it's important that everyone's on the same playing field. We can't compete, short-term anyway, with corner cutters.

That's just a single private sector viewpoint. How to measure the cost to society of, for example, a hazmat company opening its truck over a manhole in some alley one night, because it's too expensive to drive it where it belongs. Without enforcement, no tracking.

#34     May 18, 2012
  5. Max E.

Max E.

Your insurance company would have no reason to deny insurance coverage for missing a regulation, if that regulation was never there in the first place..... You are not saving money by moving a door 2 inches to the left to simply comply with a regulation so you dont get sued, because that person could not sue you to begin with if there was no rule stating your door had to be moved 2 inches to the left....

btw my reason for the fascination with the door 2 inches to the left scenario, is because my buddy owns a bunch of bars, and this actually happened to him, he had to spend 10k to move a goddamn door 2 inches to meet code.... or else be shut down by the fire inspector....

#35     May 18, 2012
  6. Ricter

Ricter

That is true. I take it for granted that something bad happened in the past and that's why we have such rules. I suppose there could be a few "what if" regulations out there, like the cell phones on planes thing comes to mind, that have no history.

#36     May 18, 2012
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

A rather poor assumption when dealing with federal regulations.

#37     May 18, 2012