another reason IB is the pits

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by aPismoClam, Jan 10, 2008.

1. ElCubano

ElCubano

exactly...i was taught as a boiler room stock pump and dumper phone jock..to always always DIFUSE the situation certainly not add fuel to the fire..... peace

#11     Jan 10, 2008
  2. There is so much BS spread about IB here, I would react exactly the same way as IDS did. 9 out of 10 of those complaints and "IB warning threads" come from people who just started trading and need hand holding with the most basic issues and blame it all on IB instead of reading the manual and applying common sense. Ridiculous.

#12     Jan 10, 2008
  3. IB is the best damn broker there has ever been.

Nobody is perfect. Even the exchanges themselves have hiccups.

Where is the damn check spelling button? wth is going on with this site?

:p

#13     Jan 10, 2008
  4. ElCubano

ElCubano

im glad u noticed that...i thought i was crazy when looking for the check spell ....BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

#14     Jan 10, 2008
  5. That happened to me last night..I thought I must've just been tired or something. ha ha

Good to know I wasn't hallucinating again.

#15     Jan 10, 2008
  6. i guess you told me, hunh? you and all your aliases ;)

#16     Jan 10, 2008
  7. OP, I am so sorry, but I dont know what you were attempting to convey...

#17     Jan 10, 2008
  8. Enginer

Enginer

IB is the best I've come up with in 10 years. My dissatisfactions hinge around issues that would arguably add expense:

Brit attitude somewhat arrogant; much handholding data on site, extremely poor search engine -they should learn from Google.

And rediculous time delay between check request and receipt, often 5 business days.

#18     Jan 13, 2008
  9. I avoided IB for a while based in part on the negativity I heard here. Finally realized that no one could give me the combination of Universal account and stability (CIPF protected here in Canada) that they could. I don't use TWS to trade (Button Trader). My only complaint is from this week. TWS wouldn't open properly (error message). I called support and they directed me to tech support, whom I had never spoken to. Tech support was a joke. The guy had no clue, none whatsoever. He was doing what my telco does when I call with a problem - he was entering keywords into the system to see if it came up with a document which would help him solve my issue. He couldn't and he said 'Hmmmm' about 10 times (no exaggeration). Then he told me to uninstall and reinstall Java.

The worst part was, when I asked him to stay on the line with me while I uninstalled Java, in order to see if it solved my issue, he refused. He said they were 'experiencing high call volume'.

Now, I am not the biggest customer by any means, probably about $700/month in commish. However, I figure that the guy could have at least stayed on line and seen if his fix worked. It took all of 3 minutes to uninstall and reinstall Java, and he had been hemming and hawing and entering god-knows-what on his terminal for 10 minutes before that.

His fix failed completely. I called Hong Kong that night and a guy there finally got me up and running, although he was not even a tech support guy.

if I had lost money during the outage a few Fridays back, or as a result of this latest corruption of TWS, I would probably be singing a different tune. Bottom line is that so far, they have been fine, operationally. I am perfectly happy with the fills.

#19     Jan 13, 2008
  10. Tums

Tums

Yup, there is always someone with problems, but not everyone.

#20     Jan 13, 2008