Another question about whether you should go for it or not

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by SpotDog, Mar 2, 2007.

1. SpotDog

SpotDog

Hi Elite,

I'm looking for some advice from the Traders here, preferably successful ones.

I have a decent job in a bank in the UK, but am likely to be faced with a redundancy 'opportunity' in the next few months.

I have traded stocks and later currencies as a hobby for the past 3 years. I am currently profitable on a kind of carry/swing/grid style strategy but this does have a risk of blowing up :D (as you will probably guess from the description). Not a huge risk, but enough that I wouldn't want to scale it to the level I would need to make a living.

I want to trade full time for myself. My objective is to make enough for a modest living initially. So my questions are, are there any prop type firms in the UK or real opportunities to learn to trade? Should I continue holy grail internet quests as a hobby and get another day job until I get it right? Or should I plough full time into optimising my currently profitable strategy so that it can be scaled-up?

Apologies in advance if you are bored of reading these types of posts. I can take the inevitable punishment in exchange for the potentially beneficial advice. :p

Happy Friday