Another quest for LCD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by saxon22, Oct 16, 2008.

1. opt789

opt789

I have two NEC 30”, and as I have posted previously, I would not recommend a 30” to most traders since the price and the drawbacks of all the current models make them less appealing to the mass market. I would definitely go with a 24” if you want quality over price, you can buy two 24” for the price of one 30” – in my case I could have bought about 8. The Apple 30” is an S-IPS, so I am guessing you would want either an IPS or S-PVA screen which would probably be an HP, Dell, or Samsung. I would guess the most popular 24” of them would be the Dell 2408wfp on sale for $517 according to the website.

#11     Nov 26, 2008
  2. Would I be able to simply connect those to the typical Dell computer?

#12     Nov 26, 2008
  3. I strongly reccomend a vid card with DVI out...if you bring it home and just slap on the VGA cable, you're wasting your $$.

#13     Nov 26, 2008

4. Why are they not good for trading.
    Not to sound rich but price of NECs (1200) do not scare me, plus I only need one.

#15     Nov 26, 2008
  5. #16     Nov 26, 2008
  6. opt789

opt789

The price of the NEC 30” is $2200, but you can get a little better price online. You can get their 26” for $1200.

Price was irrelevant to me also, but my point is that there is no 30” on the market that is truly a great monitor. Everyone has different needs and tastes. Some care about accurate colors, heat generation, backlight bleed, banding, striping, input lag, and some don’t care about any or all of those. Every 30” monitor suffers from one or more problems including the Apple; hopefully they become better in the future. You can spend over $4000 on two NEC 30” or you could get 3 or 4 24” monitors for a lot less, and not really give up that much quality. In fact the 24” NEC 2490wuxiSV is one of the best overall monitors made today, is half the price of the 30”, and by all reports is a better monitor. The technology to make a perfect 30” does not exist yet. That said, some people hate the way their IPS screen looks and it is not good for serious gamers. You may be surprised how much heat a 30” monitor puts out when you are sitting just inches away.

Are you just going to trade? Will you edit photos, play games, etc?

#17     Nov 26, 2008
  7. joemiami

joemiami Guest

Landis was right on to refer you to newegg.com, tigerdirect.com also, great prices along with ratings and reviews on many LCDs..

good luck........

#18     Nov 26, 2008

8. You are right NEC is $2200, I mistook LG for NEC which is $1200.
    As for the monitor, as to why a 30". I like the real estate and my eyes felt at ease when I was using it. I dislike multiple monitor set up as they distract me so anything X 2 will not work.
    As for quality, I think I am not picky and aside from trading I will use it for some very light photo shop, some home movies burning and charts. I like to have day, 240, 60,30,15,5 and occasionally 1 min. charts open. I enter based on 15 min (and 1 min for precision if the set up allows it) and 5 for getting out (well usually my trailing stop does that for me). Nevertheless 15 and 5 are always present.
    As you can see a 30incher would solve a majority of my real estate problems.
    :D :D :D

#19     Nov 27, 2008
  9. opt789

opt789

Since you don’t care about true color reproduction the professional series NEC are probably not worth the cost to you. I would look into the Dell 3007wfp-hc and the Samsung 305T (but check that you get the new 305T+ version). I would recommend only buying from a reputable dealer with a reasonable return policy, it is not uncommon to get a problem LCD regardless of the price paid and many internet dealers have horrible return/exchange policies on LCDs. As has been pointed out, you should have a newer dual link DVI graphics card that can handle the 2560x1600 resolution without trouble.

#20     Nov 27, 2008