Another model bites the dust

Discussion in 'Trading' started by PoundTheRock, Feb 10, 2004.

1. jem

jem

my model looks for a market turning point in the markets in the september to mid october time frame. We would expect the event to have a negative effect on the nominal price of the 30 most recognized industialized names in the United States market place. We expect a sympathic reacation in the equity indexes representing the utilities and transports. Of course we could have a phase shift in which rather than a negative effect the cycles could have a positive.

We developed our models after noticing that a pentration of the penumbra could lead to a self renforcing postive or negative feedback in the markets.

#11     Feb 11, 2004
  2. jem,

You've mentioned your model in other discussions. Sounds like you've got something. What is the penumbra?

#12     Feb 11, 2004
  3. jem

jem

I just read a thread in which victor neidahofer (sp ) used the word in the most misplaced application of a commanding vocabulary ever. I first encounterd the word "penumbra" in a supreme court case relating to the right to privacy in either abortions or sex in a connecticut bedroom. I was thinking to myself why in the world would he use the most obsure word he could think of to express such a simple concept. The concept was that when price leaves congestion it may trend.

So then I see the Didier stuff and I just could not pass up a chance to use the word.

I have no personal model other than one a friend of my from La Jolla sells as part of his software system. And his is similar to the Mclleand Oscillator. But it is slightly less subjective. My model beleives good volume and good movement= good to trade retracements. And I no longer believe in that model for daytrading on most days.

P.S. without looking the word up I associate it with another great legal word amorphous. I believe that a penubra is a like the clouds or shadows or the area surrounding say the "right to privacy" read into the constitution by our judges.

#13     Feb 11, 2004
  4. jem

jem

P.S. you know I just looked up the word prenumbra and I will admit what I was afraid of, Victor did use the word perfectly. So perhaps the perfect use of the word compells the use of it, even if it seems so pretentious.

#14     Feb 11, 2004
  5. Thanks for the definition jem. I feel like I need a better word of the day calendar to keep up with you guys. :)

#15     Feb 11, 2004