Another famous fund manager bites the dust - Whitney Tilson

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by helpme_please, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Tilson said he doesn’t plan to manage other people’s money. He’s considering serving on corporate boards, consulting, and mentoring young investors.

Lol when you cant perform you can still teach.

How does a investor lose 8% in a roaring bull market..

MoreLeverage likes this.
  2. His fund was long/short and he used a value approach. I believe he was short TSLA.

3. zdreg

zdreg

it is more his ego than his pocket book. he made enough to be comfortable for the rest of his life.

4. Maverick74

Maverick74

He got killed in TSLA. Admitted it was the worst trade of his life. He also has been notorious for being short NFLX. Long value and short growth has been a terrible trade. It killed Buffet back in 1999, he lost close to 50%. The good news is he never tried to short any of those stocks. Tilson was on the wrong side of both of these trades.

5. Handle123

Handle123

Amazon great example in their beginning of too over valued and yet it kept going up. 50 million still big bucks and a good fund manager can increase this, so I agree with @zdreg it is ego.

You lose when selling highs in uptrend and don't hedge.

beginner66 likes this.
  6. dealmaker

dealmaker

He is making a habit of it, this is his second time shattering a fund. I wonder if he will get a third shot?

7. lovethetrade

lovethetrade Guest

One thing is for sure, you can be average and still make a fortune in the US. Half of these dudes making hundred of millions are probably of average intelligence at best. It just doesnt work this way in the other parts of the world.

8. Maverick74

Maverick74

Are you kidding me? The other half of the world wealth comes from families. There is no moving up. Born poor, stay poor. Born rich, congrats, you die rich.

9. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

There are thousands of millionaires in the US who came from modest means. In the US being poor doesn't mean you are stuck poor. It's not easy to rise socioeconomically but it's possible.

#10     Sep 30, 2017