Another eSignal Stealth Release

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Joe Doaks, Apr 5, 2013.

1. rxtrader

rxtrader

Thanks for the info. However, I learned that eSignal only allows potential customers a 1 time demo of 30 days and after that you must pay to demo it. Not acceptable for a newer trader and I will be sticking with NT for now for lowest cost to practice.

Thanks

#11     Jun 30, 2013
  2. eSignal Support

eSignal Support eSignal

Actually, if you tried our service and cancelled under the 30 day policy, approximately 13 months later, you'd be eligible for another 30 day trial.

Thanks,
    Scott J.
    eSignal Support

#12     Jul 2, 2013
  3. rxtrader

rxtrader

I tried it in 2011 and the representative a few days ago refused to let me try it again without paying. Even for delayed data you guys wanted $26/mo. My time is too valuable to deal with a company who tries to rip off new traders wanting to learn for no cost. Why eSignal wants to turn away potential long-term customers remains a mystery. Don't know whether it's greed or simply overvaluing your software, but they can do a hell of lot more to win smaller traders who aren't yet consistently profitable or still figuring their plan out.

What I want to see from eSignal for no more than $20/mo:
    - Real-time data
    - Put a restriction in the client which would only allow users to trade the smallest unit size of whatever instrument (1 contract). This would weed out the pros.
    - Another option would be limiting account sizes.

All I really want eSignal for is the charting platform anyway.

#13     Jul 2, 2013
  4. rxtrader

rxtrader

Just wait until you plot some trend lines and see how beautiful the charts scale with the mouse wheel. It's exactly how every charting platform should feel like and it's saddening how Ninja and others drop the ball BADLY in this area. Freestockcharts.com is another great example of how charts should look and feel.

#14     Jul 2, 2013
  5. Boy, if Freestockcharts is what you call great charts, you really do owe it to yourself to check out eSignal!!

#15     Jul 2, 2013
  6. Memory management is not improved on this release. For some reason, eSignal 11 cleans out memory overnight and can take over an hour just to be able to scroll to a point two weeks in the past. Please just leave memory intact at the end of the trading day. I have more than enough to keep the 11 gb commit size totally in memory. If not, I can buy more. Memory is cheap, my time is not.

#16     Aug 3, 2013
  7. On my oldest PC, a 7 year old XP with 2GB memory, I can go back 6 months in a 1 minute chart using the Go to... function in 4 seconds. If I scroll back two weeks as you did it takes 8 seconds.
    With Go to..., less than 1 second.

#17     Aug 3, 2013
  8. You're missing the point. You obviously would not run an 11gb page on your machine. There is a specific problem in the eSig 11 memory management that I would hope that the developers take up. I have an 11 gb Commit size, but eSig is reducing it to a 700 mb working set. Than when you scroll, it has to recreate the working set on the fly, and it is very inefficient at doing that. All the while, I have plenty of memory to keep the entire page in memory and there would be no problem, my PC response would probably be similar to yours.

#18     Aug 3, 2013
  9. rxtrader

rxtrader

The bottom line is that eSignal seems a little arrogant and likes to believe they provide a flawless trading platform when it's not. For the ridiculous platform fees, you would expect them to invest in adequate programming resources even if it means spending a lot. They try so hard to be #1 and it's unfortunate they don't act that way. It shows why they only produce trading tools and don't trade themselves, they would lose with the business mindset they carry.

#19     Aug 4, 2013