Another $4 Million Obama Christmas Vacation

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Nov 29, 2012.

1. More like Bush in 9-11 or failing to catch Bin Laden even though he had 7 years to do it

#51     Nov 29, 2012
  2. jem

jem

ak... the supreme ct just told a lower ct to take a new look at obamacare.
    It will be repealed at least in part.

there move is extraordinary.

#52     Nov 29, 2012
  3. jem

jem

their

#53     Nov 29, 2012
  4. jem

jem

1. I have no idea why you are bring up the generals.
    2. The supreme ct just told the lower court to revisit obamacare
    so you may be completely wrong on this one.
    3. My main thesis when the thread started is that the polls which oversampled dems by more than the 2008 templated were slanted.
    I was very correct. I unskewed those polls and said the properly template was between the 2010 results or the 2008... I felt as you got closer to either one... you were partisan.... I clearly stated that right before the election. So I was 100 percent correct.

I also said if it were me I would use one that skewed to republicans... because Obama was going to get fewer votes and Romney would get more... I was half right and half wrong.

In short... I was wrong about Romney winning but I was completely right in saying polls skewing more dem than 2008 were biased...

4. background on 3 and new info to me...

http://hotair.com/archives/2012/11/23/gop-turnout-myths-and-reality/

In the immediate aftermath of the election, Republicans slammed Mitt Romney for not being able to match the popular vote totals of John McCain, but many forgot that the full totals in the popular vote take a few weeks to finalize. This past week, Romney’s totals surpassed McCain’s in an election that had a smaller overall turnout, Kimberly Strassel reports for the Wall Street Journal — and Romney did significantly better in swing states than the GOP did in 2008 as well (via Scott Johnson at Power Line):

Mr. Romney beat Mr. McCain’s numbers in every single battleground, save Ohio. In some cases, his improvement was significant. In Virginia, 65,000 more votes than in 2008. In Florida, 117,000 more votes. In Colorado, 52,000. In Wisconsin, 146,000. Moreover, in key states like Florida, North Carolina, Colorado and Virginia, Mr. Romney turned out even more voters than George W. Bush did in his successful re-election in 2004.

By contrast, Mr. Obama’s turnout was down from 2008 in nearly every battleground. He lost 54,000 votes in Virginia, 46,000 votes in Florida, 50,000 votes in Colorado, 63,000 votes in Wisconsin. Ditto Iowa, Nevada, New Hampshire, Ohio. The only state where Mr. Obama increased his votes (by 36,000) was North Carolina, and he was still beaten by a Romney campaign that raised its own turnout by a whopping 147,000.
    The notion of an enthusiasm gap among Republicans compared to 2008 is therefore a myth, one suggested by incomplete data the day after the election. So what happened? Did Romney just run out of time, or was Obama’s downturn just short of bad enough to lose? Not exactly, Strassel argues. The demographic data shows that Democrats boosted voter turnout where it counted, and where Republicans didn’t bother to seriously compete:

Because what ought to scare the GOP is this: Even with higher GOP turnout in key states, even with Mr. Obama shedding voters, Democrats still won. Mr. Obama accomplished this by tapping new minority voters in numbers that beat even Mr. Romney’s better turnout.

In Florida, 238,000 more Hispanics voted than in 2008, and Mr. Obama got 60% of Hispanic voters. His total margin of victory in Florida was 78,000 votes, so that demographic alone won it for him. Or consider Ohio, where Mr. Romney won independents by 10 points. The lead mattered little, though, given that black turnout increased by 178,000 votes, and the president won 96% of the black vote. Mr. Obama’s margin of victory there was 103,000. …

Republicans right now are fretting about Mr. Romney’s failures and the party’s immigration platform—that’s fair enough. But equally important has been the party’s mind-boggling failure to institute a competitive Hispanic ground game. The GOP doesn’t campaign in those communities, doesn’t register voters there, doesn’t knock on doors. So while pre-election polling showed that Hispanics were worried about Obama policies, in the end the only campaign that these voters heard from—by email, at their door, on the phone—was the president’s.
    In order to win national elections, Republicans have to compete in all communities. That doesn’t mean pandering, but it does mean putting free-market, small-government philosophies and slogans into concrete policy proposals that will improve the lives of voters. It’s not enough to talk about empowering investors to take risk in the American economy; we need to talk about how we can encourage that investment to go into urban centers to revitalize neighborhoods and create jobs. We need to commit to school choice and educational reform, in combination with a shift in control away from federal mandates (and the costly administration they require) to the local school boards and parents. We have to have specific policy proposals on the table and the commitment to follow through on them.

Until we remember what Jack Kemp figured out two decades ago, we will never compete for those votes, and end up with a massive handicap in national elections.

#54     Nov 29, 2012
  5. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

Bush, not a great president, increased the deficit by $5 trillion (in 8 years). Obama has increased it by over $5 trillion in just 4 years!
    FACTS you need to deal with. Anyone defending Obama and his handling of the deficit/economy is truly challenged intellectually.

#55     Nov 29, 2012
  6. RedDuke

RedDuke

What is truly intellectually challenging is getting a surpluses and turning them into the biggest deficits this country ever knew, waging major wars and cutting taxes at the same time, and most importantly supporting a candidate who did this.

#56     Nov 29, 2012
  7. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

So you avoid the point I made ... Bush increases deficit by $5 trillion in 8 years; Obama does over $5 trillion in 4 years. So we can project that Obama will increase it by over $10 trillion in his 8 years.

No other President can touch that ..........

Again, facts, deal with them.

#57     Nov 29, 2012
  8. Because you said that the military made the decision and told Obama they were going after Bin Laden .Thats ridiculous,Obama gives the orders,not the military.

#58     Nov 30, 2012
  9. Bush came into office with a balanced budget and increased the debt by 5 trillion.Obama came into office with a trillion dollar deficit and increased the debt by 5 trillion.You dont see the difference ?

#59     Nov 30, 2012

10. http://www.tnr.com/blog/jonathan-cohn/92569/bush-obama-deficit-tax-cut-stimulus-health

[​IMG]

The Bush Deficit

Critics of President Obama never tire of blaming him for today's high deficits. But if blame belongs with one president, it belongs with Obama's predecessor, George W. Bush. The chart above, which the New York Times created based upon figures from the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, illustrates this point very clearly. But it's worth reviewing the history here, because while it's familiar to most of us who follow politics it doesn't seem to get a lot of attention in the political debate.

By the end of the 1990s, the federal budget was in surplus for the first time in decades. Partly that was a product of unusually strong economic growth, during the internet boom, which had swelled tax revenues. But partly that was a product of responsible budgeting, presided over by the most recent two presidents, George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton. In order to reduce deficits, lawmakers and those two presidents had agreed both to raise taxes and to reduce spending.

In the 2000 campaign, Clinton's would-be successor, Al Gore, campaigned on a promise to, in effect, put those surpluses aside for a rainy day. Bush would have none of it. The government had too much money, he said; the responsible thing was to give it all back to the taxpayers. In office, he did just that, presiding over massive tax cuts that gave, by far, the largest benefits to the very wealthy. Bush promised that the tax cuts would act like a "fiscal straightjacket," preventing government from growing. But then he, and his allies, launched two major wars and enacted a drug benefit for Medicare, all without paying for them.

Today's fiscal gap is largely a product of those decisions, as the graph above shows. It has very little to do with anything Obama did while in office. In fact, the contrast between the two administrations could not be more striking. Obama's primary undertaking has been comprehensive health care reform. But he insisted that it pay for itself, through a combination of spending cuts and tax increases.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-in-one-graph/2011/07/25/gIQAELOrYI_blog.html

What’s also important, but not evident, on this chart is that Obama’s major expenses were temporary — the stimulus is over now — while Bush’s were, effectively, recurring. The Bush tax cuts didn’t just lower revenue for 10 years. It’s clear now that they lowered it indefinitely, which means this chart is understating their true cost. Similarly, the Medicare drug benefit is costing money on perpetuity, not just for two or three years. And Boehner, Ryan and others voted for these laws and, in some cases, helped to craft and pass them.

#60     Nov 30, 2012