Anonymity Online

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by CET, Feb 4, 2012.

1. I forget, in Orwell's world, who was more important, The "Central Intelligence Agency" or the "Department of Education." Maybe it was the "Federal Bureau of Investigation." Or maybe it was the "Department of Commerce."

at anyrate, these people are very important, and you don't want to get on their bad side, because they have nothing else to do but make your life miserable.

And if you have ever been married, you will understand why they want more women in government.

#21     Oct 21, 2012
  2. If they really want you, they will get you. They got bin even though he gave his e-mail on a USB stick to an associate who drove to another town and used an Internet cafe.

#22     Oct 27, 2012
  3. They devoted considerable resources to get bin!

#23     Oct 27, 2012
  4. it's getting where the most exciting thing in the world would be to just live your life undected, even if you never did anything wrong

I have a friend who for some reason never had a social security number

when he dropped out he just started selling pot at Greatful Dead concerts. all over the country. As far as I know, that's all he ever did

Now he is totally legitimate and owns a huge ranch (well, there's nothing on it yet) in Montana

#24     Oct 27, 2012
  5. #25     Oct 28, 2012
  6. There is a whole other aspect to this. I just got schooled, luckily by a nice person. I admit my bad I was careless.

We were having this same discussion on another board and I post some personal stuff. Yes I realize the pros and cons esp. now.

One of the users on that thread said want me to prove how quick I can track you down based off information you have posted on the net.

No joke it took her less than 5 minutes to get my street address.

1. I was using the same screen name for too many sites.
    2. One site I mistakenly put down my birth date. It was site that I was dormant on and forgot about.
    3. She social engineered me by reading my post, which had personal info did a search of my screen name and ran it against a DOB search. She found out my wife's name occupation where I had lived in the last 10 years.

In less than 5 minutes.

So I asked my hacker friends and they showed me tools they use which many at that level know about and most are free.

Now imagine if some gets your posts or photos as uses them to blackmail you against your employer or anyone else for that matter.

I am not on FB for just this reason. They link accounts which can be data mined and bam no more anonymity.

And no this is not a challenge to track my down. I like my anonymity and respect yours as well. :D

#26     Oct 28, 2012