Annoying eSignal bug

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by cmaxb, Jul 6, 2006.

1. cmaxb

cmaxb

Ok, this one's been bugging me for years.

When a chart is filling in data, each new bar will be drawn on the right, while the rest of the chart shifts left. Most programs handle this very well. I don't really notice anything unusual. However, eSignal seems to take its time drawing the new bar. I will demonstrate:

The first illustration is a one minute chart. It is 10:29:59 say, time for a new bar to appear and everything to shift left. What happens is, the right-most three bars are shifted left, but the rest of the chart stays stationary. Figure 2. So a bar is missing, the fourth from the right. It will be missing until a sufficient number of trades are in the most recent bar. Now, the rest of the chart shifts, and the missing bar reappears. Figure 3. It seems it takes three or so trades in the new interval for everything to sync. This is problematic if you watch the action closely. If I am not paying attention I am looking at slightly stale data. If this happened once in a while I could forgive, but it happens on every bar.

2. cmaxb

cmaxb

First

3. cmaxb

cmaxb

Second

4. cmaxb

cmaxb

Third