Anger management

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by polpolik, Mar 14, 2008.

1. I don't necessarily get "mad," but I do get pumped up.

I occasionally stand up and walk around as if I'm playing a competitive sport. I even scream a little (not because I'm mad but to encourage myself and pump me up :D ).

I'm a very competitive person by nature and find that treating trading like I'm playing a match against my nemesis has helped me keep my focus.

One friend who came over to watch me trade one day was shocked to see me act like that and told me I was nuts!

I can see why someone else watching me think that though.... I mean who talks trash loudly to a computer while trading???

It works for me though....

Surprisingly, this type of behavior also prevented me from having a major loss since my concentration level is up. I tend to stick to my system better.

It really is like playing a competitive tennis match for me where if I make a mistake, I pump myself up and become more concentrated.

#21     Mar 30, 2008
  2. Same with me, I am a very competitive person but I think the violent tendencies come from the fact I was in competitive martial arts before - Taekwondo and Jiujitsu. So maybe that's why my anger manifests itself in the form of violence :confused:

I have been better about it since that incident but I still curse like a drunken sailor.

As far as trading better, I'm the opposite. When I'm worked up like that, my performance tend to take a downward spiral. I find stepping away and grabbing a coffee at starbucks and hanging out for a bit help immensely - If only to calm me down. I hear being angry releases chemicals that lowers one's IQ.

#22     Mar 30, 2008
  3. sueellen

sueellen

Hahaha!!!

Sometimes I find myself yelling to the computer too! Like if it was a person or something....weird

:p

#23     Mar 30, 2008
  4. pipboy

pipboy

Yes, it is difficult sometimes. I agree. The emotions separate the winners from the losers. I do my best trading while I am totally relaxed.

#24     Mar 30, 2008