Anger and strong feelings

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by 530HudsonSt, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Everywhere I have been in life, being indifferent seems to work well for all situations. Work situations, social situations, etc. In fact, the people who seem to survive (and thrive) the longest are those that dont seem to care.

So if you know that anger, opinions and overall strong feelings hurt your trading, then why do you persist with these same attitudes? Why put so much feeling and angst into trades, when you know it will not help the situation?

2. i think it probably has a biological component, a signal chain, which can be traced to ancient times . . .

it's a hunter's instinct, not metaphorically, as in "i'm a hunter" . . .
    but literally . . .

in a successful trade you 'hit the target'

in the ancient times, a hunter who hit his animal target felt satisfied. that meant he has food for the day: his wife is happy, his family is happy, everyone's happy. so after the arrow hits the target, there's an injection of some 'reward hormone' into the brain . .. so he's thinking: good work . .. i feel satisfaction . ..

now, if the hunder has used up all the arrows, and there's no prey. well, what that basically meant in the ancient times is: "you're fucked" . . . that's the thought/feeling that crossed the hunter's mind. the wife is unhappy, the family is unhappy, the hunter is inhappy, eveyone is unhappy . .. so the hunter feels fucked and there are no arrows left . . .

i think there must be leftovers of that signal chain in our brain, in the mind of the modern trader, because even though an individual trade is no longer a matter of food/no food for the day, i think there's some signal that goes into the brain, some injection of the 'reward hormone' . . . or, in the alternative, 'no food/you're fucked' signal into the brain . . .

this is just a guess . . . but i have no other explanation for this . .

3. Cutten

Cutten

Anger and strong feelings are useful at intimidating, pressuring, or cajoling people into doing what you want. As you can imagine, this is totally useless when directed at the markets. So, use emotion where it helps - human interaction. With market interactions stick to facts, experience, empirical testing, and logical reasoning.

4. ElCubano

ElCubano

Maybe in Hippie-ville...In the real world the ones with fire , eye of the tiger , passion are the ones that thrive. Being able to handle though situations without showing emotion is different than not caring. Just because some handle intense stresssful situations without so much as a sign of emotion doesnt mean they dont have fire and passion...peace

5. Patience, persistence, plans and goals are some of the things you need to be successful in whatever you do.

6. +1

7. Everywhere I have been in life, being indifferent seems to work well for all situations. Work situations, social situations, etc. In fact, the people who seem to survive (and thrive) the longest are those that dont seem to care.
    ----------------------------------

Control being the keyword rather than indifferent.

Secondly, carefully choosing your battles.

8. Hey guys! It's PeterEastgate aka Port again with a new handle!

9. I will not comment on the anger of emotion.

But to make a living trading, one must have strong enough emotions to ADJUST to the market.

The market DOES NOT ADJUST to the individual.

The trader who does not adjust to the market, is simply called a LOSER.

And yet on this forum, there are so many who foolishly think that market will somehow ADJUST to them.

10. If expectancy of the trading plan is positive, then I don't see why anyone need to feel angry.

#10     Jun 21, 2009