androids

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bronks, Jan 10, 2009.

1. bronks

bronks

Androids

With the progress of artificial intelligence and robotics, and to go a step further, biomechanics; I don't think it'll much longer before they will be in many facets of our society in a somewhat quasi-auto independent sort of way. Of course the first models will have rough edges but likely to improve greatly over time to the realm of some scifi movie shit... to the point where they ultimately will be more capable than us both intellectually and physically.

Now my question is not that they will be discriminated against in the early goings, because they will, [human nature being the way it is], but how much of it will they remember, and how cognant will they be of their own animus towards humans, once they surpass our level of being. How much patience would they have with us?

2. Think 2001: A Space Odyssey

3. bronks

bronks

I don't think HAL qualifies as an android.
    Think about it, once they become mobile (able to physically manipulate objects), what's to stop'em? We already know they can pretty much control their own processes.

4. He's right this is a very valid and grave concern.

We must start NOW instilling Isaac Asimov's "Three Laws of Robotics" in EVERY new robot, android or computer manufactured!..

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
    2. A robot must obey orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
    3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

5. cstfx

cstfx

Think Terminator.

6. bronks

bronks

You guys are missing the point and even I got sidetracked in the 3rd post. Nevertheless, the closest Hollywood has come is Bladerunner and AI. Those films dealt with emotional scarring and socio-dilemmas on both sides of the ball. How will humans be able to control a "species" that will be everything they're not, yet be programmed with some of the same characteristics. In this case would a bad/rogue android exceed in excess of violence and malevolence? As humans we were always limited by the boundries of our own intellect. Just read some of the threads in the pol/relig forum for examples. Those boundries don't seem to apply in the construct world.

7. we got a couple of years to sort it all out :D

but we already know the answer.. what chance do you have up against a machine that is is smarter and exceedingly strong?

however, Blade Runner is a great movie. One of my favs. Rutger Hauer was a superb "replicant".

8. [​IMG]