Android vs Iphone

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fogut, Jul 30, 2011.

1. You use Charts, with squiggly lines?

#41     Aug 3, 2011
  2. hey! you remember what they are !

#42     Aug 3, 2011
  3. iphone is better and gui more stable. I had incidents where the android gui froze or the actual phone icon just vanished (forcing a reboot).

But android is definitely better for trading:
    1) Verizon 4G LTE
    2) Stable connection - i am not sure if it's because of at&t or iphone, when I am using the IB apps it would constantly give me network errors and disconnect on att iphone. On the android under verizon, no issues at all even with weak connection it would slow but never network errors.
    3) Bigger screen

I switched from att iphone to the verizon droid charge 4g lte and overall very happy. Plan to stay with android until apple comes out with a big screen verizon 4g lte phone, then i will give it another try.

#43     Aug 3, 2011
  4. LeeD

LeeD

You are right! I posted the above without looking deep into it. Only some applications require "rooting". In fact, there are a number of independednt online app shops that sell Android apps.... unlike Apple who want to sell all iPhone apps themselves.
    I understand if you are savvy enough you can download the latest Android directly from google and make a "clean" install.

Same with PCs. Most come with an installation disks or hidden partition with the OS and all software. So, you can install "clean" Windows and then decide which of the provided applications from the manufacturer you want to install.

#44     Aug 3, 2011
  5. The iPhone has more app support, but it's all about preference. If a 4G iPhone debuts in October, then that may be your best bet.

(I'm new to the forums, first post yay!)

#45     Aug 4, 2011
  6. If you get a chance, check out the EVO 3D...it will BLOW YOUR MIND.

3D WITHOUT GLASSES on a PHONE!

Pics, video, movies in 3D...WITHOUT GLASSES!

If you are waiting on apple, good luck. They tell everyone that they are ahead of the curve and well...WE'VE HAD 4G for OVER a YEAR.

Spoke to a HUGE apple fan / friend this evening wanting to SHOW him the 3D phone and he says...

'Without glasses?'

I'm like DUDE, GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF THE SAND!

The technology leaders (fyi...not apple) are LEAVING apple in the dust and they cannot catch up.

Did I mention it has 4G, and ...fyi, we've had it for OVER A YEAR!

#46     Aug 5, 2011
  7. If you're a command-line type that is interested in a rooted phone then get the android. I had the 3GS and now the IP4 as well as a Samsung Captivate running 2.3 (rooted). However, I found myself going to the IP4 more often.

I cannot recall the last time an app dumped on IP4, but my android is pretty unreliable, even with a solid ROM. I use a lot of flash, but still end up using the IP4. My 7yo loves tank hero on the android, so he puts in in airplane-mode and plays games.

The accessory market for the iPhone is 10-fold larger than the android due to so many entries in the space. Simply too many hardware iterations. Same goes for apps.

I am an audiophile and the SQ on the IP4 is excellent. The Cirrus DAC was initially a let-down, but it sounds better than the Samsung even though it's got a Wolfson DAC. I think the IP4s analog section is superior and the gain-stage is much better on the iPhone. The IP4 is for you if you listen to a lot of 320Kbps MP3 or FLAC files.

#47     Aug 5, 2011
  8. omg the android iTWS is utter dogshit. The TOS app is even worse on 'droid. The iSwim app on iOS is a thing of beauty. I A/B tested TOS' app on my android, iPod touch 4G and IP4; all using wifi.... the android lagged badly and the iPod was actually the winner. I also A/B tested with the latest moto droid which also lagged. A 4G LTE phone was also slower on quote dissemination. Lagging under 4G and wifi.

#48     Aug 5, 2011
  9. You guys are trading with commercial apps? Via a phone?

Obviously you don't need speed or connectivity.

Why not just automate?

Still trying to figure out why someone would even want to worry about it, like get quotes on your phone...like there's anything someone can do...but buy or sell

The ANDROID phones CRUSH the iphone in TECHNOLOGY. 4G alone is enough not go get an iphone. Listening to them tell you they are the best is another reason to realize...THEY AREN'T.

Watching a fanboy that used to brag about watching movies on his phone, tell you that he doesn't care if it's 3D...that's hilarious. Why? Because he only 'wished' that apple were able to come out with this technology first...then it would have been the GREATEST thing ever.

#49     Aug 5, 2011
  10. Functionality wise IB app is shit i agree, but i have the opposite experience with iphone vs android for the app. Everything works great on 3g/4glte on android while att iphone constantly gives network communication errors. Didnt notice any lag (hardware+network) on android either. Havent done any testing on wifi, since usually i am near my laptop/pc if there is wifi.

I use optionxpress app mostly now. It's absolutely the best app for smartphone to do option trades - chains and combo trading(up to 4 legs) are all supported with a easy gui and it's very stable/fast. Support is outstanding too, one of the ticker was missing otm strikes on the app, i got a response to my email within 24 hours, then they emailed me a few days later letting me know the issue is fixed.

The higher commission and more limited offering doesnt bother me since i am not a high volume trader. Give it a try, it's really good!

trhudson, no idea wtf you are ranting about. people trade using the phone because they dont have access to a pc/wifi ???

#50     Aug 5, 2011