Andrea Rossi: Game Changer or Mad Scientist

Discussion in 'Economics' started by PocketChange, Jun 21, 2011.

Andrea Rossi E-Cat Energy Catalyzer

1. Game Changing Technology

11 vote(s)
    36.7%
  2. Stinks of Fraud

29 vote(s)
    96.7%
  3. Just another Mad Scientist

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. IMHO in 1975 David Hudson accidentally discovered the quantum science that made cold fusion possible. He called it ORMES(Orbitally Rearranged Monatomic Elements):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHnS3_DZWEU

#11     Jun 25, 2011
  2. There is far more money to be made if this technology is real than if it's not. It will not be repressed - no possibility of that at all.

Except it doesn't actually work, unfortunately.

#12     Jun 25, 2011
  3. Appears the media labeled the e-cat to be some type of cold fusion or LENR. Rossi and company are claiming it to be a type of exothermic chemical reaction.

#13     Jun 25, 2011
  4. DT-waw

DT-waw

let me guess, you are a jew?

#14     Jun 25, 2011
  5. DT-waw

DT-waw

this statement is not even ignorant. its the most deceiving, fake, fetid, bullshit-in-the-face i've ever heard.

its more fake than catholic church saying priests love children.

Let's hope Rossi will just focus his business and compete with current oil, gas and coal industries.

#15     Jun 25, 2011
  6. TGregg

TGregg

That's the rub. There's a practically unimaginably HUGE amounts of coin to be made if one can produce cheap `letric. If one could produce "Too Cheap To Meter" juice. . . could you just imagine? You'd rent an electric connection, say $50 a month and use all the power you want. If somebody had that, the roll out would be scaled up big time. It wouldn't be whittled out bit by bit, one tiny generator over there, a couple to this state over here, etc.

I watched Obihai roll out a VOIP system and the chaos just from that. Cheap juice would be making headlines around the world.

It's almost certainly fake, sad to say. Dang.

#16     Jun 25, 2011
  7. It would be the mother of all economic booms. Impossible to repress - Goldman and the banks would be printing money like never before - no measly oil company has the power to dyke a tsunami line that.

#17     Jun 26, 2011
  8. I have very limited understanding of ecat other than it generates cheap heat. The issue for municipal scale deployment will be storing the heat energy and generating electricity.

Isentropic.com has a solution for Pumped Heat Electricity Storage.

Isentropic has designed a system that uses the Isentropic heat pump to store electricity in thermal form ("Pumped Heat"). The storage comprises two large containers of gravel, one hot (500C) and one cold (-150C). Electrical power is input to the machine, which compresses/expands air to (+500C) on the hot side and (-150C) on the cold side. The air is passed through the two piles of gravel where it gives up its heat/cold to the gravel. In order to regenerate the electricity, the cycle is simply reversed. The temperature difference is used to run the Isentropic machine as a heat engine.

[​IMG]

The round trip efficiency is over 72% - 80%. Because gravel is such a cheap and readily available material, the cost per kWh can be kept very low - $55/kWh - and $10/kWh at scale.

Compared to Pumped Hydro

Bath County Pumped Storage, Virginia, USA. Two reservoirs covering 820 surface acres (3.32 sq.km). 30 GWh storage capacity (largest in the world). Pumped Heat Storage Plant of the same capacity would occupy 1/300th of the area.

[​IMG]

Benefits of PHES

Low Cost

High Efficiency

Not geographically constrained

Safe and environmentally inert

Modular and scalable

Rapid response to load variation

#18     Jun 26, 2011
  9. TGregg

TGregg

Anytime anyone talks about a power storage scheme and mentions how cheap it is to build, there's your bonafide conman flag. Nobody cares how much they cost to build. Build me a trillion dollar unit that costs a dime per MW per month with just 10% loss per month and I'll have investors calling judges to get cuts in line.

Gravel. LOL. Nobody cares about the method, nobody cares how cheap it is to build. Build me something that works! and you can write your own check.

The man that figures out how to store power will be richer than gates * buffet.

#19     Jun 26, 2011
  10. If Rossi is a fraud then he is the greatest con man alive because he has managed to convince the entire University of Bologna that this thing works, including the Emeratus Professor. This is one of the oldest and most distinguished universities in the world. It's akin to the head of Harvard endorsing a new energy technology. And these guys are all scientists with 40 plus years experience. They are born skeptics.

#20     Jun 26, 2011