...And They Have a Plan. (Live.)

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Overnight, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Overnight

Overnight

Sorry guys, I cannot post a true continuation of the journal from NT from the last entry date, because last week the NT database went corrupt, and that file is where it stores the trade log. My backup was from some months ago, so it cannot properly track the trades... So a lot of previous trade data, including the 16th to the 21st trades, were lost. Nothing remarkable on the profit side last week, but incredible on the loss side. I tried to play the Apple earnings last Tuesday evening, and wound up losing 965 bux in two long NQ trades. Both discretionary. So basically subtract 965 bux from this week's total...

sim detail 02072020 after corrupt DB.JPG

Ninjatrader 7 is the pits on that front.

#251     Feb 7, 2020
  2. Time to review your backup strategy instead of your trading strategy?

#252     Feb 7, 2020
  3. Overnight

Overnight

I never expected the .sdf file to go corrupt for no reason, with no way to repair it. It matters not to me because I know what I have made or lost, as I have my broker statements. It only matters for the journal to display to you folks. Sorry I cannot give you a clean run. I really am. I just give you the updates and you can plug in the numbers if you really care.

P.S. There is no way to backup the .sdf file without doing it manually. Copy it, and then paste it somewhere else. It was never an issue until recently, so I did not think to do it every damned day.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    #253     Feb 7, 2020
  4. Ya know, there might be somebody you know who scripts stuff. A guy might could do worse than talk to somebody like that.

(You probably don't speak either the Wisconsin or the Meenasooota flavor of Indirect Communication, but I just filled up on Culver's frozen custard which is from around there, and figured I'd run with the character sketch for a bit. Oh, and mess with your head a little. A guy might could enjoy that, if he was minded thataway. :) )

#254     Feb 7, 2020
    Overnight likes this.
  5. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

One line of "code" in Powershell.
    Powershell already exists on your Windows 7 and above rig.

Copy-Item C:\SourceFolder\MyFile.sdf -destination D:\BackupFolder

#255     Feb 8, 2020
  6. ...and that, kiddies, is how you either a) end up with a damaged file as a useless "backup", or b) flood your disk with an endless list of copies. Not the best example of good program design, coding practice, or even trivial usability I've ever seen.

A minimal solution would involve, at the very least, a mechanism for repeating the copying action on, say, an hourly basis - maybe with a time/date-stamped filename for readability - and a "reaper" that would delete any file older than X (or perhaps anything over a given max file count.) Unlike the above "solution", it would be fully automated so that the user wouldn't have to think about it. It should probably also have a restore script that would offer the option of choosing any of the existing copies.

If you have a one-line solution for that, feel free to demonstrate it.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    #256     Feb 8, 2020
  7. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

One liner in Powershell satisfies quite adequately (and easily) copying a file from location a to location b. The need does not exist in this case, to create commercial grade file copy application.

I use this stuff every single day on my network. And a whole lot more roll my own utilities and analysis tools well beyond lowly 'ol Powershell.

#257     Feb 8, 2020
  8. 1) Your "code" offers nothing that simply copying and pasting the file doesn't. Why would you even bother suggesting it? Could it be because just advising someone to C&P the file once an hour is so obviously nonsensical? It's not a solution that helps anyone. There's no possibility of it helping anyone. So, what was the point?

2) If you believe that what I outlined is a "commercial grade file copy application" (???), then you really don't have a leg to stand on in discussing programming. That's about a 3-minute task on, say, a Linux box. Off the top of my head:

Code:
    # source-backup.sh
    ts=`date '+%s'`
    gzip -c source_file > ~/backups/${ts}-source.gz
    find ~/backups -mtime +7 -name '*-source.gz' -delete

Crontab entry:

Code:
    05 * * * * /home/username/backups/source-backup.sh

The restore script would be just as easy.

P.S.: I've taught programming and analytics for a living, for decades. Perhaps not the best choice of someone to challenge on the topic.

#258     Feb 8, 2020
  9. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

Ah. You are a "teacher". That explains a lot.

I offered him a workable suggestion, you suggested he seek outside help even with your ability to extemporaneously write expert code.

This is Overnights thread.

#259     Feb 8, 2020
  10. Ah. A personalization instead of a factual argument from someone too ignorant to even understand coding. That explains a lot.

Incidentally: I've also been a soldier (infantryman and military intelligence operator), an electronics technician, a millimeter-wave radar system designer, a pistol-based self-defense instructor, a single-handed sailor, a professional photographer, a motorcycle and car racer, and a rather expert mycologist - among my many other experiences. Any more whiny comments from your - guaranteed comparatively poverty-stricken and incompetent - loser life? I'm willing to take bets on ability in pretty much anything.

Not only did you attempt (and fail) to show off your putative "expertise" in doing nothing useful, you're now trying to defend your limping ego and demonstrating your lack of reading ability and comprehension of English. By doing so, you've just managed to put yourself on my "worthless" list. Buh-bye!

Yep. So what are you doing posting your useless ego-boosting in it?

#260     Feb 8, 2020