And Ron Paul takes the lead in Iowa

Discussion in 'Politics' started by DemZad, Dec 19, 2011.

1. This weekend he raised over 4 million and today:

Paul leads in Iowa

Newt Gingrich's campaign is rapidly imploding, and Ron Paul has now taken the lead in Iowa. He's at 23% to 20% for Mitt Romney, 14% for Gingrich, 10% each for Rick Santorum, Michele Bachmann, and Rick Perry, 4% for Jon Huntsman, and 2% for Gary Johnson.

Gingrich has now seen a big drop in his Iowa standing two weeks in a row. His share of the vote has gone from 27% to 22% to 14%. And there's been a large drop in his personal favorability numbers as well from +31 (62/31) to +12 (52/40) to now -1 (46/47). Negative ads over the last few weeks have really chipped away at Gingrich's image as being a strong conservative- now only 36% of voters believe that he has 'strong principles,' while 43% think he does not.

Paul's ascendancy is a sign that perhaps campaigns do matter at least a little, in a year where there has been a lot of discussion about whether they still do in Iowa. 22% of voters think he's run the best campaign in the state compared to only 8% for Gingrich and 5% for Romney. The only other candidate to hit double digits on that question is Bachmann at 19%. Paul also leads Romney 26-5 (with Gingrich at 13%) with the 22% of voters who say it's 'very important' that a candidate spends a lot of time in Iowa. Finally Paul leads Romney 29-19 among the 26% of likely voters who have seen one of the candidates in person.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2011/12/paul-leads-in-iowa.html

For those of us who love liberty, the Constitution, and what used to be the American way, this is very good news indeed. For those who love endless war, erosion of civil liberties, deficit spending, not so much.

2. Now this might be something good.

It will at least make things interesting:)

Mittens IS the GOP candidate, one way or the other, just so you know though

3. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

It's truly magnificent to behold. It must feel good to be Ron Paul and know that people are beginning to believe in you for YOU and your OWN actions, rather than the story you tell to people and hope they believe it because they don't know the facts (like the other politicians).

Every attack given to some other candidate has to be denied and redirected, but every attack people throw at Ron Paul he confirms and stands by, arguing why it is true.

That's a shockingly different approach and something that confounds most politicians.

I hope this sticks.

4. So the corporate media keeps telling me. I find it interesting how much cover the NY Times is now giving Mitt for his past transgressions.

Regardless, this is in stark contrast to just a few weeks ago when many on this very forum suggested that Ron Paul was a non factor in this race. I wonder what they'll say now.

5. its iowa. their primaries are run by religious nutters. enough said. look at who won iowa last year and never saw daylight again.

6. Max E.

Max E.

I could see this going 1 of two ways, Newt is imploding right now, as everyone knew he would, so hopefully since people have looked over every single candidate but him, they start to take a look at Ron Paul and realise he makes the most sense, and the Anti Romney vote starts piling into Ron Paul.

The flip side is if Ron Paul wins Iowa, every Neo Con in the GOP will start to go after him ruthlessly. Up until now he hasnt gotten alot of negative attention, simply because the other candidates dont see him as a threat, if he wins Iowa that will change very quickly, we already saw fox news trying to bury him at the last debate, its about to get ten times worse.

7. Not to mention that some of the attacks levied against Ron Paul are disingenuous at best.

This is going to go one of two ways. Either the GOP will get behind Ron Paul and nominate him as their candidate, or Barack Obama will win another four years. Ron Paul's supporters absolutely will not vote for another GOP candidate so the GOP is going top have to decide how important the White House truly is.

8. Funny, Iowa mattered a few weeks ago. However, I get it, if Ron Paul wins in Iowa, Iowa doesn't count. Funny, Fox News says the same thing. Must be true then.

How many of the eventual GOP nominees have won first in Iowa? If my memory serves it was only 2 of the last 25 that did not win in Iowa and eventually went on to win the nod (I will try to support that with documentation shortly).

I guess you feel that if Romney or Newt wins in Iowa, that it would be a good indication of the strength of their campaign?

9. Max E.

Max E.

Thats not true, there are tons of people who will vote for Ron Paul who will still plug their nose and vote for anyone but Obama. Obama is basically the antithesis of Ron Paul, so lots of people will still vote for Romney if he comes in, if for no other reason, then because he wants to repeal Obamacare.

10. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Then get ready for 4 more years of Obama and Great Depression #2.

#10     Dec 19, 2011