And another day trader bites the dust

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by MrRenev, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Overnight

Overnight

Long-term "trading" works, if you catch the right bus.

amzntotalgain.JPG

10 grand into that stock at beginning of 1998 would have you over 7 million by now, not even including dividends.

I'll never get over that one, heh.

#41     Oct 15, 2020
    KCalhoun, CALLumbus and themickey like this.
  2. TimMykes

TimMykes

buy and holding the right names is no secret. thats worked for 100 years.

if its so easy, where are your millions

#42     Oct 16, 2020
    Grantx likes this.
  3. MrRenev

MrRenev

Wtf don't you understand? o_O Perhaps 1% of day traders make 0.1x what the S&P makes.

99% of day gamblers in Taiwan are retail, most of the last 1% are corporations. They all lose money obviously.
    http://faculty.haas.berkeley.edu/odean/papers/Day Traders/Day Trading and Learning 110217.pdf

Professional day gamblers all losing money in 1999, some "make money" just by chance, the average is negative, it's just a normal distribution and I am suuuuure the lucky ones in the green think it's because of talent.
    https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.2469/faj.v59.n6.2578

Institutional (bank) day trading makes no money
    http://www.tickbytickdata.com/filea...0606-MendeMenkhoff-ProfSpecIntraDayFxTrad.pdf

Brazilian day gamblers make 0 money
    https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3423101

Moves in any market last much longer than hours, so from the start day gamblers are stupid.
    Retail day gamblers are not analysing TBs of data and coming up with stat arb with minimal fees.
    They are coming up with a random opinion and using idiotic random TA which when one understands the market is ridiculous.
    I can eyeball a daily chart and tell you immediately if a MACD+EMA strategy will work or not, but for some reason retail traders are clueless.
    I never heard of day traders that made money outside of the odd clown that makes a whooping 300 bucks a day with over 2k standard dev.

The regulators keep bringing restrictions to save all the monkeys for themselves.
    I hope they don't end up banning FX & Stocks to retail entirely (some have tried... Philippines, SA) but only ban day gambling.

Lmao day gambling turns a 3RR strategy into a 2RR. Day gambling misses out on all the big winners.
    Intentionally day gambling is like intentionally asking your boss to send you 10% of your daily salary every day rather than 100% at the end of the month, and expect to come out ahead after paying all the bills.
    Intentionally day gambling is like intentionally hitting your nuts against the door.

#43     Oct 16, 2020
  4. JSOP

JSOP

Well between the day gamblers and the course sellers, I actually prefer to watch the day gamblers tbh. 1) They are more entertaining. Face it, trading is boring. You need laughter once in a while to keep you going especially when you are losing in the market yourself. 2) They are free not asking one cent from you in return. and 3) They put their $$ where their mouth is and show you the real stuff. And they have the self-consciousness to disappear when they failed unlike the course sellers where they charge you money, tons of it many times for something that doesn't work and they know that it doesn't work (because if it does they will be doing it themselves and will not bother to teach it) but still continue to peddle it to people for money with no shame.

Free entertainment vs. borderline scams? I will take free entertainment any time.

#44     Oct 16, 2020
    Grantx likes this.
  5. Heydrrich

Heydrrich

study.jpeg

#45     Oct 16, 2020
    Axon and Grantx like this.
  6. Grantx

Grantx

Spot on! Everyone here being so serious and calling each other names.
    This group is stupid.....
    that group are retards.......
    everyone loses.......
    thumb suck statistics thrown around with reckless abandon.........
    I laugh every single day on this forum. Its the best.

#46     Oct 16, 2020
    Appleseed likes this.
  7. MrRenev

MrRenev

Use brain. Science is a bunch of nonsense and yes there is a replication crisis.
    Virtually all of today sience is bullshit, climate change is scientifically absurd for example.
    But EVIDENCE is not BS. When they look at AN ENTIRE COUNTRY and cannot find a single day trader that makes money it's not hard to figure out... No day traders make money. They look at the entire country. Not sure what more you want.

And I really have to lower myself for you people looking at them all is ridiculous because we know what they do and only people that do not understand the market need that.
    There are no magical super opportunity on lower timeframes. Only incomplete trends and much lower reward to risk because of spreads. It is inferior.

I am thankful for day traders because they contantly provide us with a good dose of laughter.
    The financial world is patiently waiting on their branch with a big smile as day traders and "investors" rush into the market in 2020.

Quants & hedge funds made record profits. Dumb day gamblers made huge losses buying "cheap $1 Oil" for example, and some traders from small firms made hundreds of millions from this. I myself made big %% from the contango. Thank you day traders and robinhood & tik tok "investors".

#47     Oct 16, 2020
  8. lindq

lindq

Hope Springs Eternal.

#48     Oct 16, 2020
  9. Heydrrich

Heydrrich

The VAST MAJORITY in any field is unprofitable (so they need to go 9/5), nobody said day trading is easy ?

What is your point ? That there are NO profitable day traders on this planet ?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    #49     Oct 16, 2020
  10. speedo

speedo

Blaming failures on external circumstances absolves
    one of accountability and responsibility. "I failed so it can't be done." Thousands of traders make their living as day traders, do you think they are lining up to show anonymous trolls their Income Statements? Winners acknowledge their failures, learn from them and persevere. Losers blame them for their lot in life.

#50     Oct 16, 2020