Anchorage Daily News questions Palin's family values

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JA_LDP, Sep 4, 2008.

1. JA_LDP

JA_LDP

http://www.adn.com/opinion/story/514084.html

The Republican presidential campaign is marketing Gov. Sarah Palin's life story to voters across America as ardently as NBC is hyping its women-in-the-city show Lipstick Jungle.

Sarah, the Republican candidate for vice president, is just like you, a regular hockey and career mom. Yet she's strong, and can take on a moose or a good-old-boy wayward politician. She's a governor. She's got values. Ethics. Five kids. Baby Trig, with Down Syndrome.

The story is all laid out for America to see. Watch this charming family. Vote to put this Supermom a heartbeat away from the White House.

Yet suddenly when the Palins' 17-year-old daughter Bristol turns out to be unwed and pregnant, we're not supposed to talk about it?

We're supposed to, as Palin's campaign spokesperson Maria Comella said, "respect a person's privacy."

Or as Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama said, treat the Palin family issues as "off limits."

ADVERTISEMENT

That seems hypocritical to me. McCain, according to many reports, wouldn't have picked Palin except for her family values -- particularly, her strong stance against abortion.

Instead of a hands-off approach, the media should be delving deeper into this real-life example of family values.

What kind of discussion did the family have? Does young Bristol have to get married at 17 to uphold the parents' standards, or does she want to? How did Palin communicate the family's values around premarital sex?

Sure, some things about families with a parent running for national office should be private -- it would be wrong if photographers stalked Bristol's every move, for example.

But Gov. Palin didn't make the ticket for her foreign policy experience. She's there because she's a rising Republican woman with charisma, a compelling life story and conservative political values on family matters.

Let's hear more about how she lives those values.

-- Rosemary Shinohara

2. Quote: Was Biden vetted? Daughter arrested obstructing cops and making threats

I'm sure her threats followed the old Democratic line of:

Do you know who I am?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFucx5lJJuI

CHICAGO (AP) - The daughter of Sen. Joseph Biden ( news, bio, voting record), D-Del., was arrested on a misdemeanor charge of obstructing a police officer early Saturday, police said.

Ashley Blazer Biden, 21, of Wilmington, Del., was with a group of people on a North Side street where several bars are located when someone else threw a bottle at a police officer, police said.

When officers went to arrest another person, Biden blocked the officer's path and made intimidating statements, Officer JoAnn Taylor said.

Biden was arrested on suspicion of obstructing a police officer. She was released from custody and is scheduled to appear in court Sept. 20.

Sen. Biden's spokeswoman, Margaret Aitken, declined to comment Saturday, calling it a private, family matter.

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=135485
    :eek:

3. JA_LDP

JA_LDP

hahaha. the point is that she's getting ripped apart by her own people. browse around the adn website and read some of the articles and comments.

Palin aide bails on talking to Legislature
    JURISDICTION: Witness is key in inquiry into Walt Monegan's firing.

http://www.adn.com/troopergate/story/515508.html

4. This doesn't appear to be the Anchorage Daily News doing the questions. It looks like it's an opinion section...letter to the editor type of thing.

OldTrader

5. JA_LDP

JA_LDP

still. ADN chose to run it.

6. I don't know of a major American newspaper who "censors" letters to the editor. If anything papers bend over backwards in their op-ed to print diversity of opinion. Even the NYT has David Brooks on the payroll.

Obviously if anti-Pallin garbage was a prevailing local sentiment her approval rating in AK would be something short of it's 80%.

Funny, 80% while the other 3 candidates on the national ticket are members of a legislative body with approval in the teens.

That being said you're an idiot. Correct? Admit it. You're a loser.

7. JA_LDP

JA_LDP

So now we are comparing the ADN with the NYT? Now the ADN is a "major american newspaper"? hahaha

have you ever worked for a local newspaper? I have. You can't even begin to tell me that the newspaper does not "censor" letters to editor. It happens everyday.