Anbody Quit Smoking?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Trader5287, May 3, 2003.

1. I'm working on this too. Been smoking for 8 years, .5-1 pack a day. Thanks for the encouragement folks.

I'm especially concerned, because smoking helps me ventilate stress while trading. Since I've been trading less than a year, I know I need to kick this dependency before it becomes deeply ingrained.

I started using the gum, and have gotten to the point where I can not smoke for several days, but somehow it just keeps creeping back.

Psychologically, one thing that helps is to visualize tobacco executives laughing histerically around a boardroom as they introduce yet another additive to keep me feeding their cash cow like a jackass. .....smoking is also highly analogous to a losing trade.

Holding my breath seems to help kick cravings too. You get a rush when you start breathing again, and you're blood is deoxygenated, so it actually feels a lot like a smoke.

#11     May 4, 2003
  2. Whatever you do don't trade while on Zyban, if you do be real careful!
    Zyban gives you "I could care less" attitude...nothing bothers you!
    You can experience heavy losses!

Take a short break from trading (it's probably a routine for you (like me) to smoke, drink coffee and trade...need to break that routine)

Good luck....
    I am next (again)

#12     May 4, 2003
  3. Rs8.5

Rs8.5

Lots of good answers. I don't know if there is a "best" way to quit. I can only say what worked for me.

I had quit a few times and went back. I finally decided to make it a mind game (based on other experiences....details unimportant).

What I did was decide several months in advance what day I was going to quit. I think it was my birthday...could have been New Years (doesn't matter).

What did matter was that I had 4 or 5 months to get my brain trained that on such and such a day, I was going to be a non-smoker. Given that amount of time, I actually dreamed about being a non-smoker. Thought about it every time I lit up.

So what worked for me was being SO mentally prepared, that on "the day", I was emotionally ready. The physical addiction is strong, but I think the "emotional...psychological" aspect is even stronger.

Anyway, that is what worked for me, and I haven't touched a cigarette since that day (around 1980 or 81).

BTW, I was over a 2 pack a day smoker from 17-34. When I quit, I knew I had it beat when I could play poker and not have a smoke.

Peace, and good luck. Kick the habit any way that works for you!!! (the smell of second hand smoke is now disgusting to me!)

:)Rs8.5

#13     May 4, 2003