Analytic Software- TOS vs. NT8

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by antares66, Dec 28, 2019.

1. My question. Is it possible to set up NT8 in the same way like TOS?. I mean TOS can check the entire US Stock market in under a second. You can see which stocks changed most, you can get the %-change, volume etc. I couldn´t find the same capabilities in NT8.
    I like NT8 charting and the possibility to programm in C#

Saltynuts likes this.
  2. ZBZB

ZBZB

3. TOS gives you the possibility to programm and to set filters to scan the entire market. I did not find such capabilities on others. I know trade ideas, but it is not fully programmable. You can´t programm your own filters (price crossing weekly pivot, for example)

4. comagnum

comagnum

Tradestations has the most advanced filtering and scans of any platform I have used, which is most of them. Any thing you can think of can be scanned in real time or at scheduled intervals on any time frame down to a single tick.

5. Thanks for this tip.

6. Metamega

Metamega

Think the main difference is how the data is handled. Never used ninja much but I would assume that with ninja, the data is stored client side.

ToS, tradestation, I’m guessing but most likely the data is all server side. So if you request a scan across all stocks for new highs, their computing on their end and sending the data back to you of results.

Ninja isn’t a data vendor, they support data feeds. Their limited by the data feed. So say IQFeed has a 500 symbol limit, and your running a scan, your limited by that 500 symbol limit.

Now say the benefit of having ninja is you could simultaneous monitor 500 symbols on tick data while I’m assuming that’s just not going to happen on TOS. Their not sending that much data out. It’s easier to just compute on their end and send results back, less bandwidth.

I use Amibroker for instance and I love how fast I can go through charts. Data is stored in my end and if I perform a scan over the data and it’s loaded to my ram, flipping through charts is instantaneous while using some software like TOS or tradingview, your requesting charts for every new symbol.

7. I used Amibroker ten years before and found it’s scans very slow, because all calculations have to be executed on your pc and not on a server. I used tc 2000 before but had some issues with it. So for me there are no other alternatives to scan the entire market as tos, tradestation and tc 2000. Am I right?.

8. schizo

schizo

Are you talking about being able to sort the Watchlist (volume, % chg, etc) or screening for stocks (eg. Stock Hacker)? Watchlists are available on just about all trading platforms these days. If you're talking about a screener, NinjaTrader offers Market Analyzer (no idea how good it is though).

https://ninjatrader.com/blog/scan-trading-opportunities-in-real-time-with-market-analyzer/

9. Scanner