Analyst estimates moving prices

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by movingslow, Jul 7, 2020.

1. I'm fairly new to trading and the stock market, but I know that analyst publications (estimates and recommendations) can move the price of a stock by a lot in an instant. Therefore, I think it becomes somewhat of a risk management issue.

I know that analysts should not disclose any of the information beforehand, but do they announce the dates when they are about to publish such information? By this I mean, does a big name analyst or a bank announce a heads-up that e.g. tomorrow, a report on company X will be out? So that if you don't want to be affected by the estimate revisions or buy/sell recommendation changes, you could just sell the stock and avoid the temporary volatility?

2. not so much the analyst perse, but the news or content that have material impact which can happen anytime

but what if you are long and the news is good and the market goes up 10 percent?

i'd suggest the best thing is to find other ways to manage risk my friend

3. Sekiyo

Sekiyo

Markets make the news.
    Not the way around.
    Same for analysts.

murray t turtle likes this.
  4. Tradex

Tradex

The pros use these estimates made by "analysts" to fade the move and dump (or buy) whatever they need to buy or sell at these levels.

In fact, they were ALREADY positioned way before the actual announcement.

The losers are the unsuspecting retail traders and the amateurs, they are the ones providing the liquidity to these sharks.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020