Anaheim Trading Expo Aug 8-12

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by vikana, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Just bringing to the top, since the show is next week-end.

#11     Aug 4, 2002
  2. Staying at the Marriott, see you there.

#12     Aug 4, 2002
  3. You guys are going to have a great time together.

Do you learn anyhting really worthwhile, or is it mostly vendora and freebie software, etc?

#13     Aug 4, 2002
  4. Kymar

Kymar

...attended last year - horrifying commute from LA to OC, even on the weekend, at least by the eastern route. If I attend again this year, I'll give the western route a try.

Last year, they offered shorter, cheaper seminars. This year it's fairly expensive “workshops.” Can't really imagine you'd learn much there at all unless you fork over for it - and that's setting aside the question of whether or not any or most of the featured presenters really have much to teach (in that kind of setting or at all…). The free lectures look designed mainly for beginners.

Otherwise, the main things you get are 1) a chance to take a look at the other kinds of folks who are attending - in other words, a 3-D version of your socio-economic cohort ; 2) the opportunity to examine a few well-known or even CNBC-famous folks close-up, and see whether they trim their nostril hair, wear Rolexes, are in lousy shape, etc.; 3) a chance to sample the latest offerings from whoever's there and to have them explained, maybe wangle a discount on package purchases of books or software or whatever, maybe find something particularly hilariously ludicrous, maybe even run across something pretty useful.

Of course, if you're in the presenter or vendor or presenting-vendor or vending-presenter group, then it's more like a convention...

NOTE: The freebie quotient last year was very low in comparison to expos of previous years: No caps or t-shirts, no disks worth having - not even a mouse pad! I think my free loot score amounted to a couple of magazines and a keyring-flashlight that I accepted more for pity than greed.

Then again, maybe I just had a lousy attitude, and missed a big chance for a terrific experience... I’ll probably give another try at the Expo experience next weekend…

#14     Aug 4, 2002
  5. Kymar, LOL.

You forgot to mention the reps who will be schlepping to get your commish business.

Some legit bizness can probably be done there, though.

I won't know because I don't want to spend 20 hours in the air over a weekend and I can't make a vacation out of it due to other commitments (i.e. trading).

It would be nice to experience a 3d version of your typical trader's message board though, wouldn't it?:D

#15     Aug 4, 2002
  6. ECHO has a booth and I'm one of the 2 guys running it. Count me in for a meeting or anything.

(this time I won't be so hungover like New York though)

Allen glad to see you posting again. Stop by and say hello

Robert

#16     Aug 4, 2002
  7. Kymar

Kymar

How'd you become a "worthless member"?

Does that mean that any of us could become any kind of member we'd like to be?

What a wonderful world it could be...

#17     Aug 4, 2002
  8. Kymar

Kymar

uh... maybe!

...though... well, there are a few other things I've encountered on the net that I think I might put higher on the list...

#18     Aug 4, 2002
  9. Kymar,

I hope you are having a great weekend.

There is a thread written asking about the Member titles etc. It seems important to some. As a joke I asked Baron to change my title. I thought he might just get a good laugh later, but he was right there and played along. I think it's hilarious.

It's his call as to how long he leaves it that way. If personal requests begin to come in, he will have to change it back. But for now, he is letting me have some fun.

Thanks for your input re: trading expo.

Knock 'em dead tomorrow!

#19     Aug 5, 2002
  10. I'll be happy to drop by, 6PM at the bar in the Marriott...

I'll be wearing the "flak jacket".....

:)

Don

#20     Aug 5, 2002