An Open Letter To Obama

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AAAintheBeltway, Apr 30, 2010.

1. you ever build houses. i have. the little builders get squeezed by the big builders. the little builder sees a way to remain competitive. hire cheap labor. competition is a powerful force.

as far as farming there are very few fresh vegatables in your grocery store that can be mechanized, two reasons. some are too delicate and most produce in the field ripens in stages. you have to make several passes picking as it ripens because a machine cant tell if a strawberry is ripe or not.

#11     Apr 30, 2010
  2. Buying or building a home on the cheap is why we get this:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/03/18/chinese.drywall/index.html

It isn't just cheap labor where contractors try to build up their profits and/or competitiveness...

#12     Apr 30, 2010
  3. Great.Fewer Republican voters :)

#13     Apr 30, 2010
  4. Lucrum

Lucrum

Corrected for accuracy.

#14     Apr 30, 2010
  5. Don't forget your flag, so you can participate in mass protests demanding Mexican rights while waving the American flag

#15     Apr 30, 2010
  6. I don't build houses, but I do own a small business, and it's in agriculture. So I'm living exactly what you're talking about, and you're correct, that's exactly what we do. However, I can tell you that in the event that there were zero "cheap guys" to hire, and it was the same for everyone like me, it would make no difference to me, since the service I provide can't be outsourced.

Yes, the veggies in the market can't be converted to mechanization, true. But that's not the point long term. If local veggies became too expensive, people will convert to other forms, reduce their consumption, out of country imports will rise, and the areas formerly in these labor intensive crops will convert to something else.

So it's not exactly true that the "employers" want cheap labor. It mostly doesn't matter, as long as there's a level playing field for all.

Consumers ALWAYS foot the bill. Therefore, the supplier couldn't care less.

#16     May 1, 2010
  7. Are you under the impression that a troll that considers how fun it would be to make a comment to another ET member about molesting his kids, for the sole purpose of getting its rocks off watching him go apeshit, should deserve a serious reply?

You're nothing but a troll that takes flawed and conflicting positions on just about any issue, just so that you can watch someone get angry about your seriously illogical responses.

Now you get to spank the monkey, since I responded.

Does that make you a happy little troll?

#17     May 1, 2010
  8. Another fully non responsive ad hominem attack...

#18     May 1, 2010