An open honest discussion on the state of Ninjatrader 7

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by charlieThomas, Jul 31, 2010.

1. You see I'm trying to protect you but you are an abrasive personality who responds with ad hominen attacks, I clear sign of mental and too often financial weakness, a sign of a loser.

You obviously have limited trading experience. I do not believe that you have a vested interest in such products because you probably have never used them and you have never traded anything in your life.

You see the story goes like this: if I know the algorithm that generates trades for you I can front-run you. This will cost you. I am not accusing any particular company, especially the NT people who appear to be very professional. But they can do it easily and you will have no idea what hit you. Now I have made it explicit to you. When I find myself in a position to make things so explicit I am convinced I am either dealing with an idiot or with a scumbag.

#21     Aug 1, 2010
  2. Picaso

Picaso

Good luck - you're gonna need it

#22     Aug 1, 2010
  3. This may be asking too much, but could we stay on topic. The topic is NT7, not "Why would anyone develop on a retail platform". Someone else can start that thread. BTW, I've spent many many hours coding to the IB API and now I code to NT(6.5). Take that for whatever its worth (sorry, I got off topic :) ).

How about it NT7 beta testers? What is the Ninjascript development experience like? Is it more or less stable? How is the debugger? Can we step thru the code? How or is there integration with Visual Studio?

thanks,
    cT

#23     Aug 2, 2010
  4. kandlekid

kandlekid

An API is a abstraction for an interface between systems. A trading system is a lot more. And where did the OP state that he/she was using the IB API ? And will developing from the API necessarily produce minimum delays and stable execution ? Probably depends on the developer and the language, etc.

#24     Aug 3, 2010
  5. CT,
    When they released another version of NT 7 (from v16 to v17 I think), it required a complete reinstall. After that, I decided to wait until they get it stable. A complete reinstall for each minor release is too much work.
    D

#25     Aug 5, 2010
  6. Yea D. That implies to me they are still making basic architectural changes and/or data structure changes. Not very encouraging :(. I'm kind of stuck in limbo-land.

#26     Aug 5, 2010
  7. I agree with Intradaybill there are many good API solutions out there. Eliminate the middleware. OEC's API is the best kept secret. Can trade futures, equities, efts and equity options and and pull streaming market data. They must do a bad job at marketing because this is pretty good stuff. http://www.openecry.com/services/api_highlights.cfm

#27     Aug 5, 2010
  8. This discussion seems to be getting a bit off topic. I've been using NT7 since Beta Version 1. It has come a LONG way! I believe it was around version 12 when I began feeling that it was getting stable, and now version 19 has been working great for me. Personally, I feel they will probably release the production version in the next couple of months, but it will likely take several more months before the majority of users switch.

To address your issue, very little has changed in NinjaScript. If you have the skills to program your strategy in NT 6.5, it will likely take all of 10 minutes to make the necessary changes for NT 7 (if you have to make any changes at all). So if you're worried about stability, stick with 6.5 for now. It will be easy to upgrade to 7 when the time is right.

#28     Aug 6, 2010
  9. Thanks for the link. I noticed some really good performing systems there. That is very interesting. I am confused though. Are they a platform or a fund management company?

#29     Aug 6, 2010
  10. Thanks Pro_Trader720. Very useful. Good to hear from the other side (a more bullish tone on NT7).

#30     Aug 6, 2010