An open honest discussion on the state of Ninjatrader 7

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by charlieThomas, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Would like to see zenfire64 functionality. If you just using charts, you can upgrade to 7 now. Would like to see line alerts built into the platform. Would like to see that certain futures like CL no longer display a lag between DOM and chart.

#11     Jul 31, 2010
  2. I have been using it for awhile just out of the box functionality and every now and then I get zenfire disconnects, while the rest of my net connections are fine. Its much better than 6.5 for sure.

#12     Jul 31, 2010
  3. maxpi

maxpi

Yeah sure, do-it-yourself mentality.... NT is popular, so the NT programmers have access to things about the API's that you will never have... every time IB releases a new API we have threads here from people that are crying because their app is broken but the NT developers, and others on the same level, never have that problem [that often or that seriously for most of us at least]

#13     Jul 31, 2010
  4. The one thing I hate is know-it-all programmers that think "if I didn't build it myself, it sucks". In fact, if he was so great, why would he bother using IB's API when he could write to the FIX protocol directly, right? Yeah, I thought so.

Sure there are things that I don't like about NT, such as it's backtesting ability, so I wrote my own backtesting software. But for many people, NT's backtesting is more than adequate.

The fact is that NT does it's job well, which is that it provides a decent programming interface using C# to automate trades. It's fast "enough", and stable "enough" for 90% of the retail traders out there, such as myself. It handles a lot of the stuff that you mention, such as API upgrades, etc. It's not suitable for high frequency trading, but for everyone else, unless you want something very specific, it's pretty decent. I've never used Tradestation, but I'm sure the same applies.

#14     Jul 31, 2010
  5. There are certain serious issues about using third party software to implement some type of an edge. If you are a chartist NT is fine. But if you are backtesting or implementing algorithmic trading things are a lot different. Programs like NT, TS, MT and other ones can easily transfer proprietary information from its author to their author. Now, some would argue that they need not do it since most traders lose money, blah, blah, blah. Yet, the fact is they can do it. No man who is sane should use them then unless these companies come out public and release specific and detailed binding statements that they are not engaged is such activity.

#15     Aug 1, 2010
  6. Picaso

Picaso

As far as I know NinjaTrader "phones" home when starting up to verify its license. After that, no more messaging (that is why when you have a technical problem you have to send them your log files).

Your ISP could also steal your info, or your broker, or any self-respecting hacker, or the cleaning lady (unless you're some hedge fund manager who loves to stay after-hours to clean the dust).

However, unless you become some famous billionaire, the chances of anyone here being subject to industrial espionage are next to nil.

#16     Aug 1, 2010
  7. Do you know what a false analogy is? I guess you don't.

Your neighbor can steal your wife. So what? We are talking about NT, MT, TS and similar programs. Can you focus on the subject? I have developed an algorithm which I believe has a certain edge. If you are so sure nobody will snoop at it from those firms, please prepare and sign an affidavit stating so and deliver it to me as a guarantee to feel better.

#17     Aug 1, 2010
  8. Goodgoing, you have a point. If you don't trust trading platforms because you believe they will steal your algorithms, then that is your prerogative. As I pointed out, platforms like NT or TS are good for most retail traders, but it's not for everyone.

As you mentioned, however, there is plenty of garbage out so having companies such as NT dubiously stealing algorithms and then trying to make money from them likely isn't going to be profitable.

One thing to note, however, is that your broker is also likely monitoring your trades. If you are profitable, they may shadow the trade or try to figure it out. I had an algorithm that was mildly profitable at one point, and as I was chatting with my broker (this was at a boutique brokerage), he asked me what I was trading since I was doing so well. I didn't tell him, but it made me realize that he was watching me. Just something to consider.

#18     Aug 1, 2010
  9. Picaso

Picaso

Your speech betrays you.

a) You clearly DO know what a false analogy is.

b) Your neighbor cannot steal your wife. Women are not property. Your neighbor may kidnap your wife or your wife may cheat on you, though.

c) Since I trust Ninja and my broker with trading info I trade through/with them. My trust in them will not compel me to prepare or sign anything to cuddle you - try getting an affidavit from your neighbor, or better yet, from some professional colleague guaranteeing that your neighbor will not cheat on you with your wife (this statement is purely hypothetical, not knowing or caring whether you're married or whether your wife/spouse is trustworthy).

d) In my non-expert opinion, your need for guarantees to feel better - and your demand that other people provide them - indicates some psychological conflict. Mild paranoia is usually an abdication of personal responsibility. I recommend you seek expert help (seriously, not as an insult).

Good trading to you.

#19     Aug 1, 2010
  10. maxpi

maxpi

You can take your intellectual property off the computer, open the firewall to the license server, close the firewall and reinstall your intellectual property...

#20     Aug 1, 2010