An Indian Company Announced 63,000 Job Openings... 19 Million People Applied

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Banjo, Jan 8, 2019.

1. ironchef

ironchef

What really makes the US different is most of us have a second chance, a third chance... to get a good education, or to choose a profession. It took me a few detours to find my calling. In most of the rest of the world, I would have one shot and if failed in that one shot, I might have to get a job in customer service answering phone calls.

#31     Jan 13, 2019
  2. srinir

srinir

Interesting story in WP about Mary Daly, SF Fed reserve president.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...b9dec761e73_story.html?utm_term=.978a2abb2574

By the time she was 16, Mary C. Daly was a high school drop out in a small town outside St. Louis who believed her best option in life was to become a bus driver.

Her journey from high school dropout to central bank leader is, in many ways, a quintessential story of grit and hard work paying off. But Daly believes she wouldn’t be where she is today if it weren’t for Betsy Bane, a mentor who told Daly to get a GED and paid for her first semester at the University of Missouri-Kansas City.

Bane told her, “Don’t give up just because people say nobody like you has ever done it.”

#32     Jan 20, 2019