An idea about moving averages...

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by frostengine, Jan 18, 2006.

1. One way to explore the question is to create hypotheses and test them. Here are some hypotheses which you could test by writing spreadsheets or BASIC programs or Metastock modules, then pumping some historical data thru them:

H1: The day after the deltaMA rises, the underlying market price tends to also rise.

H2: 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 50 days after the delta MA rises, the market price is higher. (accumulate statistics on this, is it higher >> 50% of the time (which your momma can get by flipping a coin))

H3: A strategy that buys when deltaMA rises and sells when deltaMA falls, makes profits greater than commissions+slippage

#11     Jan 19, 2006
  2. ==============
    More than several ways to use that info wisely;
    & as an elite trader told me more than several years ago,
    get much more than that.

a]Probably least important, but worth ''keeping'';
    apply both 5 & 10 SMA ..... to volume,
    and price. Prefer charts which allow both [different colored]ma to price/vol ,
    some don't.

z]Say you determine by records, that your average swing =10 days;
    write that in your plan, have a written plan?????;
    & note as a reminder ,positionS of both ma around 10 days.......

Good question;
    we could run a ''mentor'' ad & charge $ for that:D

#12     Jan 19, 2006
  3. man

man

what you must not forget is, that the movement of a simple moving average is constituted out of new data coming in as much as of old data going out.

the fact that new data can only marginally change the output (=the ma) makes this output positively autocorrelated, thus non random, thus much more predictable.

consider a falling curve. and a simplie moving average starting in the middle of the fall. now consider tomorrows price. even if it is higher than yesterdays price, the sma will continue to fall as long as the incoming price is lower than the very first price which drops out. see my point?

#13     Jan 19, 2006
  4. Yes, it was addressed by "let it run."

To the original poster:

If you have already factored into your equation what will happen when you drop the previous days from the equations you are saying that you can predict whether the next day will be an up or down day, which would be very useful. I doubt that you are able to do this with the kind of accuracy you stated.

5 yr

#14     Jan 19, 2006
  5. Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Is it possible to create an equivolume moving average?

It should be interesting to see the volume on the AVG when two AVG are crossing....

I mean the volume on the last bar not the smooth volume due the length of the MA

Lorenzo

#15     Jan 19, 2006
  6. Hello guys, just understand what SMA is. Some info here: http://www.theforexforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=31
    The prediction of MA (or any other filter) can be useful if you use it together with statistical CCI information (exaple: CCI has reached a resistance level and MA (you predict) will go down >> the price will go down )

#16     Jan 19, 2006
  7. =============
    Ripley;
    believe it or not you are right and;
    while stock prediction isn't possible in an exact-long term sense,
    very high probability that trendlines or ma can help hit rate better than 50%.

And besides lots of money has been made with less than 50% hit rate, with proper[1-3% equity] size.

Another idea about moving averages, 5 ma can help;
    but 50 period has helped me more,
    much less slippage, much less commissions than 5, even though my favorite isn't a 50 ma however useful it is. Good area to experiment.
    :cool:

Remember when DAL was on NYSE for years;
    downtrend hardly EVER cleared top of certain moving averages.

#17     Jan 19, 2006
  8. This is similar to the topic but slightly different..... what if i said i can predict with aprox 55% accuracy whether the S&P will rise or fall tomrorow....

not much better than 50-50.. but enough to have an edge..... what methods would one go about using this information to profit off of it..... is 55% enough to make a statistical differnece?

#18     Jan 19, 2006
  9. You can play an Opening Range Breakout in the direction you think it will break out to, and use a 1/2 R/R ratio, and you'll make money.

But, the better edges are those edges that you don't have to speculate on where the markets will go....but rather follow the market.

#19     Jan 19, 2006
  10. man

man

i might make a fool out of myself here, but the probs talked about are are near to irrelevant. it is easy to have a hit ratio of 85% ... sell options.

55% prediction value does not at all mean that you can make any money on it. at best it is an indication to dig deeper and find something exploitable, but that's about it.

#20     Jan 20, 2006